Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mar 5, 2011

I had to meet the bus early at the Student Center to head to New York on the Honors Photo field trip. Joanna and I sat in the teacher's pet seat so I got to precariously walk down the aisle while the bus was moving with a bag of bagels, handing them out to everyone. At least we got bagels though. That was cool.

We got there quite early; the museum wasn't even open yet when we arrived. Not sure why we left so early, but we took the time to walk around the city for a while and go to Bryant Park where I took some photos of the still-wet walkway and some people walking by.

We eventually headed back to MoMA, where Keith had met up with our group and was there to greet us (even though he forgot I was coming..) This painting by Umberto Boccioni was really great. It's one of a series of three he did at a train station depicting different moods.

There are always new things to see at MoMA, but the old favorites like Brancusi's sculptures never go away.

This photo was one of my favorite things I saw for the day. The mood of it is immediately apparent and it just feels very personal and lonely to me.

We wandered the rest of the museum for a few hours. It's a big place. This guy walked right in front of me while I was shooting something so I just shot him instead. The museum was good as always, but after a while I was ready to get back outside.

We walked around again for a while and went to the NBC Store before heading to the Rock Center Cafe to wait for the rest of the group to get there to have lunch.

We got called in to a place that seemed way too nice for us and got seated by the windows. After some sitting and gawking at the nice decor and the high prices of everything we were getting for free, our drinks and food came out. I got a penne pasta that was delicious but way too large for me to finish.

After dinner, we even got dessert. Speaking of too much... I ate it anyway. What a bad idea. We took off after we finished and walked around once again, thinking about going to some stores but we didn't have time. I bid Joanna farewell as she got on the Rowan bus and I headed uptown.

I met up with the one and only Nathan Terry on an unassuming street corner just blocks away. We headed back toward Penn Station and talked about art we had both viewed during the earlier hours.

We went to Jamba Juice where I got a delicious Five Fruit Frenzy and waited for Chuck to meet us. He arrived shortly after and got something for himself. We hung out for a while and then went to a pizzeria before parting ways with Nate.

We walked the other direction AGAIN (I walked 7th Avenue like 6 times over the course of the day) to Radio City Music Hall where Kevin Smith's new movie, Red State, was premiering for an audience the first time since Sundance.

The theater was huge even in the lobby. Had to take a shot to prove they actually let us into this place.

Our seats were on the balcony, but still very good. The Man came out and introduced the flick and then the show began. The movie was really good in my opinion. A departure from his other work, it was a nice thriller and still fun.

Once the movie had finished, Kevin came out to thank everyone and say a few words before introducing almost the entire cast to come out on stage for a Q & A.

Unfortunately, the majority of the questions were for Kevin and he seemed noticeably short with his answers this time around because he wanted to give the stellar cast a chance to answer some questions. John Goodman was among the many great actors on stage and they did each get a few good questions but it was somewhat disappointing overall. Not the typical Kevin Smith Q & A, but I suppose that is to be expected.

We shuffled out of the theater with some time to spare before our bus so we found a bar somewhere in Chelsea and had some microbrews that were actually quite good. There was some in-house entertainment provided by the drunk girls at the bar. It was a good time.

Though not pictured, except for possibly on my face, there was still a long trip home. We got on our sold-out Megabus and had some fun with disgruntled passengers. It got resolved and worked out fine in the end though. When we got back to the city, we lucked out because the bus dropped us near the train station so we could grab our train right back to Jersey without worrying about transfers. After a short drive back home it was sleep time. And almost dawn.

No comments: