Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mar 27, 2011

We were almost the last people on the bus, but we made it in time. The bus trip wasn't so bad once I got my calzone at the rest stop since I didn't have time to eat breakfast.

We got dropped off on the Mall and the weather was really nice for walking around.

We went down to the basin and walked along the water where the cherry blossoms were growing. The Cherry Blossom Festival had been mostly canceled because the forecast was for snow. They messed up.

We spent a lot of time among the trees, taking pictures of them and in them. That's when the hunt for a place to sit down began. We walked through the city around the places that I knew had restaurants but ended up near Union Station.

The Billy Goat Tavern sign drew me in and we went in to see what it was like. It was a weird little place with a cafe on one side and a bar on the other.

We all got grilled cheese and fries. And it was good. We sat there for an hour talking, drinking and eating our fries. Someone played one ridiculous, loud song on the jukebox and then it went back to being quiet. I'd go back.

We headed back to the Mall and went to the Hirshhorn Museum, where I took a lap around the top floor and saw some interesting things before going to the basement to see the ColorForms exhibition, including Olafur Eliasson's "Round Rainbow." I love the simplicity of it and how it changes so frequently with a really amazing result.

We headed back toward the bus but stopped in the Sculpture Garden to check out some cool art and a cute child. This is Roy Lichtenstein's "House I." The illusion is really cool when you stand in front of it. I want a sculpture garden.

When we got back I tried to work on my midterm for a while with poor results. Alex and Cait picked up Popeye's from some shady location and brought it back to eat while we drank wine. We watched some movies, but were more interested in taking photos of ourselves on the webcam.

The night was fun and the wine I got from Heritage's was really good. Alex's boxed wine did not quite live up to the quality of the bottle I had, but it was good in its own way, if not a little too sweet. 'Twas a fun day.

No comments: