Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mar 2, 2011

We had a Gallery meeting in the morning where we met with our printer to look at the books he mocked up for us to give us an idea for what the final books will look like. We discussed some logistical issues and pricing for what we want to do. We made some progress and then discussed it all among ourselves when he left. We have some work to do.

I took my list of photographs that will be hanging in the show and thought about the positioning of everything in the gallery space. I want to know exactly what's going to work with everything else and how big I should print them.

I went out to the wooded trail to find some items that I could shoot in the studio for my "found object" assignment. I found some trash and some natural things.

I went into the studio to shoot the items I had collected. My idea for the assignment was to take items that you normally wouldn't see shot in a studio atmosphere and shooting them like new products or advertising.

After shooting I got to sit and pose for Christy as she worked on her figure drawing sketchbook. Lindsey brought me a smoothie back from the rec center so I got to enjoy that delicousness whilst I posed.

I had Christy do a photogram for me in the darkroom. I'm going to do a series of these silhouettes with different people and try to capture some uniqueness in all of them. I really like the product.

I took Brenda into the studio and showed her how to use the lighting and hook up her camera and the like. She just wanted a quick lesson so I gave her the basics.

She took a while and shot a bunch of photos of me to get the feel for changing the settings and the lighting. She was getting good already by the end of it!

I went over to GSA, getting there on time for the first time in a really long time. Eventually the meeting got started and we had our discussion and figured out jobs for the mock wedding a little later in the semester.

I left the meeting early to go to Pfleeger with Kat for the screening of 127 Hours. The movie was great again, of course. This was only my second time seeing it and I'm not sure why I haven't watched it many more times.

Aron Ralston was there to give a talk after the movie was over. He talked about the ordeal, his recovery and his renewed outlook on life. He was extremely positive and optimistic. What he said was one of the most amazing and motivational things I've ever heard. It seemed like he was talking straight to me a lot of the time. He related his struggle to obstacles we face daily in life and it really does make you think about the things you care about and what we think is a struggle.

After the movie we picked up some beers and hung out for a while drinking with Aly, Zack and Steph while we talked about Aron Ralston's ideas and how awesome it all was.

It was a full day of work and fun. Seeing that movie makes me want to go hiking and live out in that area.

No comments: