Monday, September 7, 2009

Sep 7, 2009

Katie and I went up to Philly since we didn't have any school and got falafel at Maoz. It's been quite some time since I've had one and it did not disappoint.

Then we went over to the Academy of Natural Sciences and learned about the wildlife of North America. It was pretty boring, just lifelike models of animals we see around here all the time, usually dead on the road.

We got to the exhibit we came to see since it was the last day it would be available. We had to come see the geckos..

The friendly fellow at the front the exhibit welcomed me in. I think he slipped me the tongue.

There were all kinds of geckos on display. Some were very small and others were huge.

They were all very interesting and the way they cling to things is amazing. We watched a video explaining how they walk on any surface and it's crazy. They're just beginning to understand exactly how a gecko's feet work and using the research to create new adhesives.

There are geckos everywhere from deserts to icy climates. There are so many different types that survive in all conditions. They're great.

After the geckos, we moved on to the butterfly room, where the little insects fly around freely as you walk through the vegetation.

There were plenty of beautiful varieties to see, flying around or sitting on leaves.

They were very accustomed to visitors and barely moved when you got right up next to them.

Katie even got one to sit on her finger.

This is as close as I got. I wanted him to sit on my shoulder like a parrot but he wouldn't have any of it.

We explored the rest of the museum, which consisted of a bunch more lifeless animals in dioramas. Not as exciting as the live things.

There was also a section of dinosaur fossil replicas. I went with the classic "head in the mouth of the tyrannosaurus skeleton."

Nathan was coming into town on the train so I offered to pick him up since we were already there. We went to 30th Street Station to get him after stopping at the art store in center city and getting a couple of slices of pizza.

We met Chuck, Diebra and Jimmy at the movies to see Taking Woodstock. It was a pretty good movie. It wasn't a new favorite but decent. I don't think I've been to the movies with that many people for a really long time.

It was a fun-filled Labor Day and a good long weekend. Time to go back to class.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

psh i got two to sit on my finger..

D.M. said...

..i think it was the same one twice.