Saturday, November 28, 2009

Nov 28, 2009

I met Katie at the Looking Glass to have breakfast before I had to finish working on a paper. It was a good burrito with tofu instead of eggs. I found out the candy store across the street has Zagnuts in the wrapper! Crazy.

After writing for an hour, I finished packing and got on the Turnpike north. After a few hours of so much traffic, I made it to Joanna's house in Avenel. Her mom fed us some pierogies that were really good and then we headed out. We went through Staten Island, slowly snaking our way down the Belt Parkway into Long Island.

We got to Nassau Coliseum and got a great parking spot but we missed the first part of Kevin Devine's set. We really only saw the last song. It was a good last song though.

We ducked out to the acoustic stage where Vinnie Caruana from The Movielife was playing. He played some Movielife tunes and some I Am the Avalanche. He was great and he attracted quite a big crowd.

We caught the tail end of the Manchester Orchestra set as well but we missed a good deal of them. Andy from Hot Rod Circuit played next on the small stage. He played some of my favorite tunes and made me want him to release a solo acoustic album. Really great by himself.

Thrice was the next band on the main stage and they played a great set. They played a mix of slower stuff with heavier songs mixed in. They didn't play "Deadbolt" again though.

We decided to stay put since we were so close to the front. There were an insane amount of people there; it's hard to believe they sold out a place that big.

Glassjaw came out next and, even though I don't know their stuff, they played a really good set. The crowd really got into them, probably because they never play shows. I need to get their cd.

Finally, Brand New played a long set once again. It was a little different from the last show but still really good. They played a lot off of their latest two albums and closed with "70x7." I realized somewhere during their set that I lost my keyless entry for the car and that I couldn't open the doors without it since the key only works the igniton...

The key opened the trunk so we tried getting in through the back seat with no luck. I went to find a cop to help jimmy the lock but when I came back to the car, I saw Joanna sitting like this in the car, triumphant. It was pretty hilarious. She managed to get in through the back seat and open the doors from inside.

This is what had to be done to get into the car... the only way in.

We made it back to her house by 12:30, much earlier than we expected with so many bands playing. After looking a few things up it was bedtime. I was graciously offered her brother's old bed to sleep in and I had no problem getting to sleep.

No comments: