Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sep 5, 2010

I went to the Sedgley course with Joanna in the morning to dust the cobwebs off my disc golf bag.. and the basket. It was a really nice day out for a game.

There were a lot of people there but we managed to play pretty quickly without waiting for anyone more than once or twice. I would say I did decently. I got a handful of deuces and a bunch more that should have been.

I finally lost my XL on one of the back holes. I have no idea where it could have gotten to but I spent a long time looking for it. I guess it was bound to happen sometime. It's been a good disc. We played all 27 holes and I started feeling like climbing things toward the end so I did.

We went over to the art museum after the game since they had their "pay what you wish" first Sunday thing going on. I hadn't been there for a while anyway. We spent most of the time in the contemporary section. There were a lot of pieces by Brancusi, including "Mademoiselle Pogany" (several versions) and "Bird in Space." I really like both of those pieces and much of his other work. I always want Hottle to be there to tell me more about them!

I spent some time in the room full of Marcel Duchamp pieces. I liked this one, which I don't recall seeing before. Raymond Duchamp-Villon was also well represented in the contemporary section, with several small models for "The Horse" which we saw the large version of in Baltimore.

Jasper Johns had quite a few pieces here as well. I really love this piece, called "The Critic Sees." He has done some great things and I want to see more. It's always unusual and unique.

We went across the street to the Perelman Building to see what was new and on display. The most interesting thing by far was an exhibit of contemporary lighting.

The room was lit by all of the lights on display and there were a lot of amazing and crazy lights. The one in the foreground is called the "Wo Bist Du, Edison?" lamp. It was designed by Ingo Maurer and the light you see is a hologram that changes shape and color as you move around it. The actual light comes from a small light one the hanging piece which also creates a profile of Thomas Edison. This lamp was just one of the amazing pieces on display. Everyone should go check out this display.

We went to The Loving Hut for lunch and I decided to go with the sandwich this time. There was an unfortunate caliber of workers this time. The guy at the counter was new and guessing about things (guessing wrong, at that,) and the woman making my sandwich burnt the roll and tried cutting the burnt parts off and then blew on it to get the crumbs off. I asked for a new roll. The sandwich was only alright. I'll stick to the stuff I know is good next time. And hope that the other lady that works there is back.

I came home and got a few things ready for the fire and then chilled out until Chuck showed up. I gathered some sticks up and tried to get there fire started. It took some TLC, but once it started up it got big and stayed that way.

More people showed up and we had some drinks and talked about a wide variety of subjects ranging from genocide to pink houses and conversations we had that night. Sketch had a good time chasing balls around the yard as we tried to hide them from him. He always managed to get them back.

It got really chilly and the fire was nice to sit by. After everyone left and I had sufficiently extinguished the embers I went in and got to sleep.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

aw that sucks that the sandwich let you down. is that the same one i got? If it is, why did they toast it?! i bet they screwed it all up :( But I guess the really disturbing part is the idiot cutting off burnt parts and blowing on your sandwich. not cool, not cool at all.

D.M. said...

It is the same sandwich! Sadly, not the same quality you seemed to enjoy. Shoddy work. I just went on a bad day it seems..