Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sep 11, 2010

After a little over four hours of sleep I was not really feeling like getting up but I really wanted to do this race so I had some breakfast and got over to the Motorsports Park to register.

I got my number and met up with Laura while they were doing all the opening ceremonies things. She seemed a lot more confident in her ability to complete the 10K than I was.

The events started a little late after all the local politicians had their turn at the microphone giving a speech. The bikers began first. There were a lot of them doing anywhere from 20-60 miles.

Shortly after the bikers began we got started. First we made a lap around the Thunderbolt Raceway and then went out onto other roads in the complex and on the grass along the edge of the tracks. We separated from the 5K racers and headed to an area farther outside the main track. Once we were more than halfway through the course turned onto a dirt road. There were moments there where I didn't think I was going to be able to go all the way but then I was at the end, finishing with a time around 52 minutes! I'm really happy with that time.

Laura came in just under an hour, a great time for her as well! We have to wait for our exact times to be posted on the site as well as photos from around the track I hope!

We got some post-race refreshments. I don't really like Fruit Punch Gatorade but it tasted really good after that. I had a bunch of fruit and a bagel. So good.

They announced the awards once everyone finished. Laura placed third in the female group! Congrats!

I placed second in the 20-29 male group, seventh place overall I believe. I'm happy with that result. The first place guy in my age group was not very far ahead of me. It was a really good experience and a lot of fun. I'm glad I finished.

Katie and I went to Marlton Whole Foods where I got some real food and she did some shopping. We went to the Borders up there so she could get an elusive book for one of her classes and then we headed home.

I went to the hospital when I got back to visit my grandmom who had to have surgery for a somewhat serious problem. She made it through surgery fine but she has to spend some time in recovery before they'll let her go. Hopefully everything works out fine.

Later Chuck and I picked up some good beer and headed to Alex's house for her "housewarming" party. We met a bunch of people whose names we immediately forgot and then called our place at the beer pong table. There was some decent competition, but we won.

We ran the table for four games and then took a break. When we came back we lost to a couple of new additions to the party. We had our moment. We were both getting tired of drinking Miller Lite anyway.

After that there were some attempts at dancing, beer pong watching, wine drinking/chugging and at least two games of flip cup. It was all fun.

We went upstairs to hang around and talk. I took a little bit of a nap and then got up to regain the conversations. That was basically the rest of the night, just sitting around talking. We picked all the grapes out of the fruit salad from Alex's show because the rest of the fruit was not that good anymore and then I had some real food before we left.

It was almost six in the morning when I got home. I knew I had to get up early so I tried to fall asleep before the sun came up. I'm pretty sure I did.

No comments: