Friday, April 9, 2010

Apr 9, 2010

We boarded the bus in the morning and actually left on time for Washintgton, DC. Hottle came back and talked to us during the bus ride so it went pretty quick.

Once we got into the city we walked Alex over to the RAINN office so she could attempt to do an interview for her photojournalism project.

It was pretty chilly out and I didn't bring a jacket so while we waited I went to get a chai tea and hung out in this coffee shop.

When Alex was finished we walked down to the White House and took some photos.

There were tons of people out there of course but I like this shot of the protest signs in front of the building. I went up to see what was going on there.

This woman has been out there everyday since 1981 to give people information on the atrocities of war. I realized this would be a perfect subject for my social issue photo assignment so I shot a lot of pictures and took some video of her explaining why she was there. I think it will work well.

We traveled over to the World War II memorial next. It's such a nicely designed monument that I feel like the meaning is lost. I feel that way about most of the things here though. There are tons of people visiting these things but everyone is getting their picture in front of them and then leaving. No one is taking time to consider the lives lost to prompt such a memorial. I understand it, I just think it's unfortunate.

We ran into Andrew, Mike and Eddie while we were there so they joined us and we all walked over to the Vietnam Memorial.

Don't be fooled, despite the sun and the short sleeves it was chilly out there. It was still a pretty nice day to walk around.

We climbed the steps to Lincoln where I got shots of people taking pictures to use as part of my "experience of Washington" photos for class.

We were all pretty hungry after a day of walking around so as we headed back past the other side of the White House so the other group could see it as well we started looking for food. We stopped at Cosi to get some sandwiches and soup. I felt like I had to keep getting food that would warm me up. The manager was making comments about us moving the tables to sit together and then said they don't usually allow pictures inside. He was having a bad day.

We finally went to a museum at the end of the day; The National Portrait Gallery. There were some new paintings that weren't there the last time I visited and we checked out the Framing the West installation. It showed a lot of the first shots of the US Western expansion. The photos weren't particularly amazing but it displayed images that were new and exciting when no one had seen them before. Stereo Photos were really cool; they were like old school 3D, with two photos creating a separated image when you see them together.

The bus picked us up and took us home to Rowan. It was a good ride and we played some bingo when we got back while Joanna had something to eat. We didn't win anything. We never do.

There were plans to go out but we were all pretty tired so we ended up calling it a night early.

No comments: