Saturday, April 17, 2010

Apr 17, 2010

I went to the inspection station in the morning to get my car all legal and I was literally there for five minutes. That's the fastest I've ever gotten that done. Go during the middle of the month ten minutes before the place closes, it's worth it.

I had to put in my time guarding this area at Rowan for Profstock during the afternoon. Everyone was hurrying to get ready for the large concert but I just had to keep people from coming through the doors if they didn't have a pass.

I got my press pass after putting in my time at the door so I could access whatever I needed.

Once I was prepped on what I could and couldn't do when the bands came on stage, I went into the gym and watched Reel Big Fish sound check with about three other people in the room. It was pretty awesome to see them like that but also slightly awkward since I couldn't really sing along or dance. They were just working. They played four songs in full and their banter between was not for anyone but themselves but it was still just as funny as they always are.

I got to sit in on an interview that one of the Rowan journals was doing and after they finished I got to hang out and talk to them myself. They were amusing but also very friendly. Scott told the REAL story behind the band's name to which Aaron replied, "Yeah, and there were a lot of 'fish' bands around at the time.."

It was pretty sweet to get to hang out and see them being themselves. I wonder what they would have been like ten years ago.

They even agreed to do a group shot for me. They were quite accommodating and they seemed to be enjoying themselves for the most part.

People had begun flooding into the gym and the battle of the bands winner, Party Attack, came out shortly after. They played very well and Jason joined them for a song. I had to get used to shooting between the stage and barrier without flash. It wasn't too bad for this band. once I shot a good amount of photos I went back to hang out with Erika in the crowd for the rest of the set.

Alpha Rev played next. They were pretty good. As would be the rule for the rest of the band, I was only allowed in front of the barrier for the first three songs. I was able to get a decent amount of shots in that time.

The Reel Big Fish played next. I was able to get some good shots from in front of the stage but I wasn't able to enjoy the show like I normally would.

After my three songs I went into the crowd to enjoy the rest of the set properly. They were great, as expected. They played Sell Out twice after joking about it and getting cheers from the crowd. "You guys really want to hear that song again...? Ok, whatever!"

Third Eye Blind played last and we went up to shoot for the beginning of their set. It was very difficult to shoot because there were few lights on for most of the time and when there were it was back-lighting. The last song we could be up there brought a lot of light and much scurrying by the photogs trying to finally catch a few shots.

I stood with Erika for the rest of the set. It was pretty enjoyable but sometimes the lead singer talked too much. It seemed like he hadn't updated his speech since their '90s tour.

Erika and I went to Carolina Blue to meet Jeff and Sam after the show was over. We had some hummus and pita and hush puppies. It was good food but extremely filling. We had a good time sitting and talking for a few hours. It's been a while since we've been out.

I went home and went right to sleep. It was a fun and tiring day.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

oh you sonofabitch. that last third eye blind photo is amazing and probably trumps everything i got. the lighting on everything is great.

D.M. said...

well at least I got one.....