Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mar 31, 2010

It was early morn when we did board that bus to New York City with cream cheese bagel in hand and camera slung around my neck.

The bus ride was actually pretty fun, as they tend to be on field trips. We had to decide which of three groups we would be joining in the morning and afternoon as they were all splitting up and going to different studios and museums.

We went with Jan in the morning to C & G Partners, a graphic design firm on the tenth floor of an unassuming building in Chelsea.

We were led to a conference room, where a power point was waiting and Steff Geissbuhler was there to tell us about what they do. Steff is an awesome person. He created the NBC logo and many other designs that he showed us. He is also just a really nice and funny guy. He told us how he got started and gave us suggestions on how to succeed, which was basically just "stick with it!"

Once we toured the design offices we took the elevators back to the street. Katie and I split off from the group and went to Cheep's for a delicious (and cheap..) falafel. The pita bread was so good and the falafel tasted fresh. I wish it wasn't so far away..

We went across the street to get a Vanilla Chai Frappe from a coffee shop that Katie had been to before as well. It was a tasty treat for the walk back to Union Square where we got on the subway to head uptown.

There was some confusion (aka Jenn didn't answer her phone) when we got to Moma. We took matters into our own hands though and I got all the tickets for the group so we could get into the Tim Burton exhibit on time.

The place was incredibly crowded and the line of people shuffled along very slowly as people examined each drawing of Burton's that all showed a clear progression to the films we all know. Several strange sculptures stood in the center of the room and there were also short films that he had done at various points in his career.

The back room was full of all of the stuff we know: Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman, etc. It was cool seeing a lot of the models used from the films but overall I think the crowd and my high expectations left me wanting more. It's a great exhibit for any die-hard fans but I had to get out of the mass of people.

William Kentridge was also on display in a special gallery. I've enjoyed his work since I discovered it a few years ago. He does stop motion videos of charcoal drawings, mostly commentary on the working man and industry. There were a bunch of his videos on display that I had never seen. He does amazing work.

I had never seen this before but I really loved this piece. We walked through this gallery for a while and then checked out a little more of the museum before meeting back outside to wait for the bus to pick us up.

The ride home was a slow one at first but it wasn't too bad once we got moving. I fell asleep very briefly and then I was wide awake just after. I came home and did a few things before happily getting into bed.

No comments: