Monday, March 1, 2010

Mar 1, 2010

I slept too late and didn't go to my first class because I didn't feel like going in late. I sent my applications for SUP to be dropped off and got food to bring to Photojournalism. It wasn't too bad a class, we mostly watched videos again. I went to Sculpture for a short time, where I couldn't do a lot besides watch welding before I learned.

Timothy Samara, a visiting graphic designer, was giving a presentation to several classes so I went to see it and photograph it for the gallery. He had some very interesting ideas about how and why we create the type of work we do and his works were really great.

He stuck around after the talk to speak with students and sign the textbooks that they are using in some of the GD classes.

I then went down the hall to the closing for the Motion I gallery in 207.

There were some snacks available and I got to check out some of the videos I hadn't seen. I heard my voice every now and then from the video Alex did about obsessive behaviors.

For my third assignment of the night, I went to the High Street Gallery to see Stephanie and Taylor's opening. I had seen some of Taylor's work from class but there was a lot of good stuff on the walls. All photos they took over the past year on campus and traveling.

This series had some of my favorite pieces in it. The surfing silhouettes and black and white waves worked very nicely. This is Steph's favorite shot.

When I went to drive away, I found myself out of gas so I walked to the Rec Center for the general meeting/pizza party. Everyone was introduced to new, interested people in the group and then we got our slices and started an ice breaking exercise. We had to go around the table answering questions with one word as quick as possible. It ended up being fun and revealing at the same time.

Once I was driven to the gas station to get a gas can and some fuel, I went back to my car where I had to use a birthday card as a funnel because the spout on the can didn't really work. In the end, my car started again though. I got some tea and went to Westby to meet Andrew, Alex and Joanna to study for our Modern Art test. I didn't know many of the works at all so I was basically starting from scratch. Luckily, I'm pretty good at it.

By the end of the night, I knew most of the names of the artists and their pieces as well as the dates. I was a little worried still, which is why we planned to get up early to study more.

No comments: