Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mar 7, 2010

I got a few things done at home in the morning and had a smoothie with my sister before going to Rowan to board the Mystery Bus. The idea is you get a cheap ticket and get on the bus without knowing where it's going. I figured it was in or around Philly but I didn't know where exactly.

The bus dropped us off in front of Two Liberty Place and we went into the lobby where two people were waiting for us. They let us in on the surprise that we were going on a Flavors of Philly tour.

We got our guest badges and a little bit of Philly history and then we took to the streets to walk to our first Philly food destination.

Stop one was Tony Luc's Steaks. We weren't sure what to expect since we're vegetarian but it worked out.

We got a vegetable sandwich basically, while everyone else chowed down on their steaks and we learned the history of the steak sandwich in Philly.

The veggie sandwich wasn't bad. It was a little plain but it had a spicy oil on it which gave it a good flavor. I wouldn't seek it out to get another one but I enjoyed it.

The next stop was down the street at the Philly Pretzel Factory. I know it's a chain now so I dismissed it at first but after I learned more about it I realize that this one is the real deal. They make the pretzels on premises and open at 4am.

I got hot mustard on mine of course as I learned that the original pretzel shape was based on the way that children would pray in a monastery over two thousand years ago. Also, the three holes in the pretzel represent the holy trinity. I found that really interesting.

We walked through Center City and past City Hall down to Reading Terminal Market for our last stop.

We went inside for hoagies. We learned the history of that as well while we at our cheese hoagie. It was really good, fresh cheese. We all did a quiz about the things we learned that day and got ready for the sweet part of the tour.

We stopped to get a few bags of tasty chocolate covered pretzels and then went to the 4th Street Cookie Company for our final treat: a delicious chocolate chip cookie. It was so good, soft and chewy. The bus picked us up shortly after this and we got back on, ready to go home and not eat for a while.

When we got back I had to go to the sculpture studio to finish my metal snail.

I welded the snail together and it looked pretty good, if I do say so myself. The welding gun stopped working just before I was going to weld one more piece on but it's basically finished.

We went to get food, where we ran into Andrew and Laura again, and then we retired to work on some homework. We didn't finish a lot of work but I got everything done that I needed to, technically.

No comments: