Thursday, October 1, 2009

Oct 1, 2009

Ryan and I started out early, after I got a breakfast burrito that I could barely eat half of and a smoothie at the Looking Glass. We headed to Brandywine Creek State Park in Delaware and found the Rocky Run Trail. Sort of.

The trail we were looking for didn't start at the trail head so we had to head in a little bit. We took this extremely steep path up to start out and walked the trail for a while before realizing we didn't need to do that.

We did end up on the trail we wanted though, eventually. It was a slow grade trade with a lot of roots and few blue markers letting us know we were on the right track. Most of our time was spent wondering if we were going the right way.

After a while we turned off onto a blue section that really seemed like the description that brought us there in the first place. It was a nice, rocky path with plenty of natural obstacles.

Some section got a little more rocky, I guess it's aptly named "Rocky Run." These parts were fun, I wish there had been more of them. We circled around on the trail and ended up back on a different trail. Once locating the other half of the blue trail that we hadn't done, the trail changed dramatically. One part took us through an open meadow. It was very diverse.

This part was nice but somewhat disappointing. No challenge here, there were an abundance of rock to use while crossing this small stream. Interestingly, around this area the trail was extremely well marked and we had no problem following it.

Once we were through with the hike, we returned to a spot we had noticed earlier with some steep rocks that we wanted to check out. We climbed up this set first, which was steep but provided plenty of footholds (on the way up at least.) Since we want to do more of this type of thing we moved on to a much steeper and more challenging rock face not far away. It was a lot of fun getting up there but also really scary at some points. I don't know if we're prepared for rock climbing but I guess the only way we'll find out is by trying it.

We were already there so of course we had to have a go at the "Brandywind" disc golf course. We played our favorite holes and a skipped the annoying ones for time's sake. I lost a disc on the hole that I figured I would, hole 4. I expected this so I used one that I don't care about. We played ten holes out of eighteen and we had to get two discs out of trees along the way and one out of water. Always a fun time at Brandywine.

When we got back I had to go right to Russian class for my test. I'm pretty sure I aced it. It seemed easy to me.

When I got home from class I met Carolyn for a bike ride around town. We took a decently long ride. It was nice to have someone to talk to while riding. Also, it was nice to have someone to get me on my bike since I haven't ridden in a while.

I met Johanna at the Oar House a little later for a drink. It's been a while since I've seen her. We stayed there for a while until I was ready to fall asleep.

A good ending to a good day. Hello, October.

No comments: