Friday, October 25, 2013

Oct 25, 2013

I got to sleep in a bit in the morning, but I still was not looking forward to the drive to the Legacy office. I got there on time, but, as I figured, everyone wasn't there or ready yet. We had to wait for Derrick to get there, and then we had to wait for Dave to get there with his car because he didn't realize we were leaving that early or something. Once all our gear was packed, checked, and stowed in the back of Dave's Volvo though we were ready to hit the road. After a stop at Wawa of course.


The drive wasn't bad. I enjoy conversations with Derrick so that helps the time go by much more quickly. Plus I can occupy myself on my phone when there is nothing being said. That's the nice part about being a passenger. We picked up Rena at her place in Maryland and continued down Route 13 to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I remember being much more enamored with it in the past. I think the idea of it was always cooler than the actual experience. Or maybe I just want to see it from above or on the water. You can't see it that well when you're driving it.


We stopped briefly at the rest area in the middle of the bridge as the sun was going down. Kevin and Max were right there with us in their car somehow. I thought they'd be way ahead. When we got to the Aloft Hotel, I was eyeing up my coworkers, wondering who I'd be rooming with. To my surprise I saw five keys being handed to Derrick and then he distributed them at random. I had my own room! A wonderful surprise. Too bad we weren't really staying long enough to enjoy it. We headed to our respective rooms, which are super nice, and took a short time before we headed out to get dinner.


We went to Carrabba's, where I got a tasty Sam Adam's Oktoberfest at the bar while we waited to be seated. Beer tastes better when it's paid for by the company card. So does the food. We had some great food and good conversations at the table. Rena and I have a lot in common, especially when it comes to skiing. She told me about how different skiing in Colorado is on fresh powder. One day I'll find out for myself. Maybe this year...? We hung out there for a while after we finished our meals and then spent a little time at the hotel bar before retiring to our rooms for the night. The bed was really comfortable and I wish I didn't have to set an alarm...

No comments: