Friday, October 18, 2013

Oct 18, 2013

I worked at Memorial for a gym teacher and it was track day. They ran races and did other events. I was in charge of the discus station. I just watched them and kind of organized them. I also threw the discus a few times. I was okay at it. I don't think I've thrown one since high school though. The day was pretty fun since I basically just hung out with kids throwing things and didn't have to discipline them for it. After work I charged my batteries and got my camera equipment ready for the wedding tomorrow, then I got ready to go out for the night.


Chuck, Kate, and I got up to the Piazza plenty early. We were the first in line to enter the Living Social Beerfest, but we only had to wait 15-20 minutes before they let us in. It was a small fest and generally open season for the first half hour or so. We breezed through quite a few breweries in a short period of time. Victory's Dirtwolf was one of my early favorites.


Once we made our way through one side of the tents we went back out to the entrance to meet Tracy and Mike, who finally made it. They joined us to work our way down the other side. We had started slowing our roll a bit by this point. We had some good beers from Brooklyn, Yards, and Sierra Nevada. A wise man once said, "Beer fests are terrible places to taste beer." And he was right. I have a hard time remembering most of the beers we tried. Too many beers in a row are hard to evaluate for taste. It's really just an excuse to get drunk on good beer and have a good time.


Have a good time we did. After we finished sampling all of the beers we wanted to try we tried the handful of ciders that were available and then we went back for seconds. Even though I told myself I wouldn't do that, at this point it was a forgone conclusion. We were drunk and dancing by this point. No one was really into the cover band that was on stage the entire night, but we went up and danced right in front of them for a little bit, and I asked them to play some Blink. What seemed like a long time passed and then they finally played All the Small Things. We were happy.

Once we had our fill and then some we left and went over to The Abbaye for food and sobering up time. I had something that was delicious followed by the best pecan pie I have ever had. You can never go wrong with food from there. Kate was not feeling well at all, unfortunately, and we had to help her back to the car so she could sleep in the back on the way home. It was certainly worth the $29 for that ticket to the beerfest, so thanks for that, LivingSocial! Until next time.

No comments: