Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Oct 22, 2013

I passed on jobs last night hoping a full day Millville job would come up this morning, but it did not. So I ended up waiting and taking a Special Ed job for the afternoon in Vineland just so I had something. Their Special Ed "Life Skills" program is pretty sweet. They have a separate section for the students where they do copying, printing, collating, and other office jobs for the Board of Ed. They also have a kitchen area where they cook and serve coffee and snacks for the teachers in the morning. I like that they are teaching them by doing actual jobs and I think that helps the students feel a sense that they are helping people too.

This being my first experience with Vineland High School (and Vineland subbing in general) I wasn't thrilled on their procedures. They didn't have a teacher's folder for me with any information like a building map, emergency procedures, behavior referrals, or emergency lesson plans. They left that up to the teacher. But as a first-time sub in a new building, I have no idea where things are or what the usual procedures are. The people in the office were also very unhelpful, and even though I was done at 2 and my class had left the building to go get their bus, I was told I had to stay until 2:23 because that's when subs can sign out. Like I was literally supposed to just sit on my ass in the office until the big hand went around 23 more times as I do nothing at all. Needless to say, I did not stay until 2:23.

Instead, I went over to South Vineland Park and went for a quick run around the lake before I met Scott and Bill for a round from the yellow tees. I played about average for me as I watched them nail putts with ease that I would be ecstatic to make. I did make quite a few good shots myself. One thing I can say about playing with them is that they genuinely enjoy the game and are very encouraging with the praise even if my shots aren't as good as theirs. It's just fun to play with multiple people too. After Bill left I played another 9 holes with Scott from the white tees this time and then headed home.

I came home for dinner, then I relaxed for the evening waiting for a job to come up for tomorrow.

No comments: