Sunday, February 20, 2011

Feb 20, 2011

Alex and I were ready pretty close to when we hoped to leave for New York. We drove up to the train station in Newark and took the train over and went right to B & H Photo. We browsed things for a while and then I went to the counter to make my purchase. I ordered the Canon 60D. It's so pretty. It's much cheaper if I get it shipped to myself though so I did that.

Nathan met up with us and, after looking at some more things at B & H, we walked toward the Chelsea galleries to a place Jenn suggested to us. We found it well-marked.

When we got inside, we were surprised to find a large trade show instead of an art gallery. We came in anyway and looked around. We got necklaces that allowed us to visit all the floors of the show. Alex was having a great time checking out all the new fashion that the vendors were trying to sell to retailers.. not to mention getting all the free business cards, brochures and catalogs that anyone would give her.

I wasn't really into the clothes, but there were quite a few really awesome jewelers there. I really like unique jewelry, like these rings made from old metal type. There were a lot of really great things there that I would like to have but they weren't for sale to individual buyers.

We checked out the next two floors up, which were exactly the same as the first one with more vendors and then we headed out. I got stuck behind a girl in precariously high heels who was texting while walking down the stairs after I took this pictures. It took a while.

We looked around for more galleries and ended up in this place, which looks really creepy now that I look back. It was another clothing store with a really strange layout and interesting clothing and people. We obviously did not belong there so we made a lap and then swiftly exited.

We found the entrance to High Line Park, which is on an old elevated train platform and is now used as a walkway/park. It will be nicer when it's warm and the plants are alive. It is a nice view of the city from up there though.

We made our way to The Meatball Shop and decided to dine outside to avoid waiting an hour to be seated. It wasn't that bad out there. You use a dry erase marker to mark your order on the menu. It was a cool little place.

I got a veggie meatball sandwich with Parmesan sauce. It was really amazing. Nate's and Alex's food looked really good as well. I'm glad we decided to eat there.

Since we weren't too far away, we decided to go over to Rice to Riches and get some rice pudding. I got almond and some chocolatey chocolate one. Alex and I split this big one, but it was still too huge to finish. Should have gotten the small one. At least Alex knows she like rice pudding now!

Since it was pretty cold and we didn't have anything else specific to do we headed back to the subway to go home. I took an obligatory photo of the skyline before we descended.

Before leaving Newark, we went to Pizzatown, Alex's family's pizza shop. Her dad made us a couple of slices to try out. It was really good, especially the Sicilian. We hung out there for a while and her mom showed up. After hanging out talking for a while we headed back to the Turnpike.

We got home much faster than Alex's mom thought we would. It was a tiring day so I was ready to get to sleep when I got back.

No comments: