Sunday, December 20, 2009

Dec 20, 2009

This is what the car looked like in the morning once I finally got around to going out to it. I had to force the door to the building open and walk through knee-deep snow to get to it.

I think the driver's side gives you a good sense of how deep the snow was.

I slowly swept the snow off of the car and out from under all of the tires. It was the only tool I had.

I took me a while, but I got it pretty well cleared off and I thought it might actually make it out.

First try! I pulled straight back out of the parking space and did a victory slide.

Need me to get your car out?

Once the car was dug out, we brought all of Joanna's stuffs out of the room that she was taking home and then went to get ready. We had some tasty oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon and spices and then headed away from Rowan for a while.

The roads were still bad locally but once we got on the Turnpike it was pretty well cleared. The highways were fine and there wasn't a lot of traffic so we got to Avenel really quickly.

Once we got to her house, we loaded everything in and then had some veggie lasagna. These were the first things we put on the Christmas tree and then it was time to decorate.

I haven't decorated a tree in a really long time so I was a little rusty but I think I did alright. I liked the icicles.

This is the finished product. There are a lot of snowmen on there. After the tree trimming I took Joanna to work and I spent some time there shopping. I only ended up getting myself some clothes at Gap. No luck on finding things for other people yet..

I drove home to find my driveway looked like this. For some reason I never considered this until I was a few miles away. After just staring at it for a while, I walked through it to the garage while parking in the middle of the road so I could get a shovel and start digging.

I dug enough of a hole to get my car in and then dug a walking path to the door.

Just digging the parking spot and the path took a long time. I wasn't going to try to shovel the whole driveway.

I spent the rest of the night in the house. I didn't want to see any more snow. I fell asleep really early. It felt good.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

that picture makes the tree look good and normal. now everyday from the other side it looks more and more crooked... especially 'cause of the angel haha
my picture of the sign is still awesome.
and sammy and liz look adorable.

Joanna said...

oh yeah, fucking snow. thanks for getting us out of there like a champ.

D.M. said...

at least you've got a tree! And yes, excellent shot of the sign, it's quite good for being in a car going 70. How is sammy anyway? Hanging in there? get it...?

Joanna said...

thaaaaanks. imapro.
hahhahahahha yes, he is hanging in there. happy as a clam in this frigid household.

Anonymous said...

i usually opt for the broom as well, which sometimes can be completely useless. someone just told me how they use a hockey stick (not even sure about that one...). i saw this and purchased it http://blog.gifts.com/giftrap/categories/home-garden-gifts/let-it-snow it really does work! my goal is to be more prepared the next time snow hits. hope this helps!

D.M. said...

thanks, anonymouse. I would like to be much better prepared next time.. or be living somewhere where it doesn't snow. I'll just visit it on the ski slopes..