Saturday, August 6, 2011

Aug 6, 2011

We got on the road and headed out of Boston in the morning and we were in Maine much sooner than I had expected. Boston is pretty close, it seems. We still had a while to go.

We stopped in York at Stonewall Kitchen for their charity pancake breakfast. We just had to make a small donation and we got a plate of pancakes and some juice.

Doesn't that look delicious? It was pretty good. I was hoping for jams on the pancakes, but the fruit stuff was nice too. I had three pancakes and that was very filling.

We went inside to check out the store and were overwhelmed with the amount of jams, mustards, salsas, chocolate sauces and countless other things they had out for us to sample. I was most impressed by their mustard selection. They had some pepper relish that was wonderfully spicy as well. I wish I could buy them all.

We drove for another four hours or so and arrived at Acadia National Park in the late afternoon in time to get one of the few remaining campsites for the night. We made a snack of peanut butter and jelly and talked about what we could do.

We decided to go down to the lighthouse since it was nearby and we didn't have much time before dark. The shoreline of Maine is just amazing. We weren't alone, as plenty of visitors and photographers were there perched on the rocks.

It was very foggy, but I think that added some nice texture to the photos I was taking. I climbed out on the rocks and sat in a nice spot away from people and enjoyed the view for a while.

Alex slowly made her way to where I was, being much more careful on the rocks. I spoke with a few of the other photographers that were out there about their equipment before we felt we had seen what we wanted and headed back to the car.

After grabbing some food from the general store we took it back to camp and ate then went for a walk collecting some wood to make a fire. We had a couple of bigger logs that were left by the fire pit so after I got the small stuff burning, they caught as well. It was nice to have a fire. Alex told a ghost story of sorts.

Once the fire went out for good and we couldn't revive it again, we called it a night and went to sleep early with plans to get up for sunrise.

No comments: