Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Oct 6, 2010

Once again I got to school early to set up my sculpture this time after putting a few finishing touches on it. I found the perfect spot to make my point, just outside Westby by the ashtray.

This pile of cigarettes was smelly and gross but it gets the point across.. I think. After getting some food with Joanna we had our critique. I got a lot of positive feedback for mine. It's not really supposed to be about smoking, more about littering and the way people will drop cigarettes like they're nothing even though there is an ashtray right there.

There were a lot of good sculptures up including half an eye, an umbilical cord, large coins and Joanna and Margaret's vagina performance piece. A lot of people did good work on this.

I had to leave early again for work day two of Alternative School. I had the same kids and it was a little more laid back today. The one big class wouldn't do any work but I had resigned by that point so I got a lot of sketching done for Type. The rest of the night was good.

I picked up Chuck after work and headed right for The Abbaye for Oktoberfest! They had plenty of great beers on tap so we just started going down the line. We also encountered a creepy situation where a bearded man at the bar held up his phone to Chuck and said, "Is this you?" showing a picture of him playing guitar with Argyle Gargoyle on his iPhone. After exchanging concerned looks we found that he ran The Abbaye Twitter page and saw Chuck's tweet about it and looked at his profile picture. Still weird.

The waitress who gave us chocolate vodka on Belgian Independence Day came over and asked if I wanted to be an alternate for the Das Boot drinking contest. I said yes, of course. We had to chug our beers from the boots and I was in the first round after eating half a burger so I had a hard time chugging fast. I don't think I lost it for us but our whole team was a little slower than the other guys. Oh well, thanks for the free beer!

We came back to the table and continued trying the beers while eating The Burger. It was still amazing. My favorite beer of the night was the Copper Crow Oktoberfest. I didn't really dislike any of them. It's my kind of beer.

The musical entertainment for the night had been an accordionist called Otto von Auto, who played a lot of Lady Gaga. We ended up talking to him about the accordion and he taught Chuck how to play a little. He was doing well for his first time ever holding one.

We ended up hanging around with him for a bit as he played cover songs that we sung along loudly with. The Twitter gentleman joined us as well. We had a great time singing Nirvana and trying to think of other songs for him to play. Chuck tried to teach him Dammit with minimal luck.

It was a great night out at The Abbaye as always. You can always count on your favorite bar to make you happy! Thanks, @theabbaye. See you next time!

No comments: