Friday, November 8, 2013

Nov 8, 2013

There wasn't much sleeping in today, but I got a good amount of sleep before getting up to meet Ryan to play disc golf. We had a good game and a walk after that around the lake. It was a nice day, but I was ready to head home after getting Chinese food. I got some work done on photos while I was home and then it was about time to head to Haddonfield to drop of my disc with photos from the law firm. I met with Matt briefly and gave him his disc. He seemed nice enough, if a little odd and hurried. Hopefully we will be working together again.


After a brief stop at Total Wine, Kate and I headed into Philly and to the New Deck Tavern for the U Penn Alumni hockey team happy hour event. I met Whit, the head of the alumni association, in the small basement dining room of the restaurant where about 30 former hockey players were standing awkwardly close to the narrow entrance instead of sitting at tables with their beers. I shot some good group photos and some fisheye overviews of the tiny room. After I'd shot a bunch of candids and people posing with old friends I headed over to the ice rink to get ready for the Penn vs Princeton game.


It was cold in the rink, but I kept warm by walking around up and down the stairs as I was shooting. There were a lot more students there with cases of beer and 40s of Hurricane than I'd have expected at a school event. Shooting was a lot of fun with my 70-200 lens. With the large aperture I can get some great action shots. I still felt like I needed to use the flash to get good lighting though which bothered me a little considering the claims that the IS version of this lens works so much better in low light. And this wasn't even low light. I guess I should look over the instructional disc that came with it...


After shooting a little bit of the game I was done for the evening, and we headed to the parking garage in Chinatown for a couple of beers before going into the Trocadero a few minutes before Less Than Jake came on. They seemed less drunk than usual and played a great set of songs from their expansive discography. I danced and jumped through just about every song because the crowd was great and I had at least one Golden Monkey before entering. Except for a brief (not so brief) interlude where they brought two girls up for a chugging contest and then berated them for their poor performanced it was a solid show. It was a nice reminder of how good they can be since I sometimes expect a shit-show like the one at Hangar 84. Just a short long drive home and it was bedtime.

No comments: