Saturday, May 7, 2011

May 7, 2011

It was a pretty nice day and I felt like doing something in the city so Joanna and I decided to go to the Mutter Museum in Philly. It's a museum of medical oddities at the College of Physicians. They have skeletons used to study body structure and skulls with bullets lodged in them. The one big room has a wall of skulls from different ethnicities, categorized to display the differences from region to region.

The really strange stuff were the fetuses preserved in jars as well as brains and tumors. It was all really interesting and scientific. It didn't bother me at all. I don't know if it's just from media desensitizing me to things like that or just my interest in science, but I didn't join the groups of others curling their lips in disgust.

We went over to the art museum for some geocaching after the museum. I got to walk through the sculpture garden that I didn't know existed there. That was cool. It took a while to find the first cache, but once we did we signed in and moved on to look for others.

This one was well-hidden and fun to find. There was a tiny log inside to sign but that was all.

The Abbaye was an obvious choice for dinner. I had to get another "meatball" hoagie and it was just as good as the last one. Joanna finally got to try The Burger. She seemed to enjoy it. We stuck around the area for a little while to look for some caches nearby.

One last cache before leaving eluded us. It was by the "horse hotel" where they house the carriage horses. We looked around for a while but couldn't find a thing. It was cool to sit and check out the horses though.

I went to Alex's where she and Cait were finishing getting ready for the night out. We had a couple of drinks there and talked about what we were doing. That took some time and then eventually it seemed like we weren't going to Philly as initially planned. Alex left (supposedly just for a short time) and then never came back, leaving Cait and me to entertain ourselves.

I did a lot of this and we did a lot of talking and cursing Alex for ditching us. I had a few more drinks, which ran out quickly since I didn't plan on sticking around the house. Then we made nachos.

It turned out to be a fun night anyway, despite not going out. I thought so anyway.

No comments: