Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 17, 2011

After showering and checking out of our KOA, we headed back to downtown Nashville in the daytime. We walked around a bit more and checked out the little shops and a strange Charlie Daniels museum. After that we went for another free beer at McFadden's thanks to FourSquare. The bartender was young and quite knowledgeable about the art scene in the area so we talked about where to go and photography a bit before finishing our drinks and taking our leave.

We took his advice and checked out the Cheekwood Museum, which is in a mansion on a large estate. The art was really nice, but they requested no photography. I liked the shadows the rail made on the wall though so I thought that would be okay. There were some well-known artists in the collection and pieces I had never seen. It was a small but nice museum.

Outside there was a sculpture trail that seemed like much more trail than sculptures. There were a good deal of sculptures along the way, but the trail was rocky and muddy in places. Some of my favorites were the tree, which I thought was real for quite a while and the white bridge. Unfortunately no images of them right now.

There was a Japanese garden along the trail as well. It was really nice and well-groomed. Reminded me of San Francisco, though we never saw the garden there. I want to check out more of them.

Once we left the Cheekwood grounds we stopped at Centennial Park to check out the full replica of the Parthenon as it looked before its destruction. It was pretty impressive and cool to walk around. There wasn't much going on there, though it was a really nice park that I would spend time at if I were spending any time in the area.

We hit the road and headed toward North Carolina. We found a bar we wanted to check out and went for it. When we arrived we were right on the border of the time zones and Alex and I were in separate time zones despite sitting right next to one another according to our iPhones.

When we went into Barley's, it turned out to be the best possible night we could have chosen to stop by: Pint Night! Which meant all pints of beer (of their at least fifty beers on tap) were two dollars. Winning all the way. Look at that selection.

I stuck with mostly dark beer. I liked most of them a lot. The one Rogue that I tried I was not a fan of, but the majority of what I had was great. Our bartender was really nice too. We had a great time sitting at the end of the bar, watching people play pool and drink Miller Lite despite the special for some reason. I wish this bar was next to my house and always had this special. So great.

We went to the closest campground we could find, which was a way down the road and put our tent where we thought it was supposed to go on the grass (even though the signs said "No tents on the grass," it didn't seem to offer another option.) Another easy sleep night. Thanks, beers!

No comments: