Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4, 2011

Fitting for my last day of undergraduate college, I spent the morning working on my online final for History of Photo that was due today. It was somewhat easier than the the midterm was, I think. Either that or I just didn't care as much?

I got to Westby just before my Sculpture final was to begin and it turned out we had to wait a while for everyone to get their stuff up. This is one of my favorite pieces of Joanna's. The lines are made of pills.

There was a performance much like last semester, but the instrument's hammers were refined for more intricate playing. The piece he played was beautiful and really impressive that he created this himself basically.

My pieces were received differently by everyone. This isn't the best light in which to view them, but I was happy with the results. The critique itself was strangely hostile. Not just toward my pieces but others as well. A few people who I've not been in crit with before just tore people apart for no good reason. I didn't let them get to me, and I defended my idea and my process calmly, much to the chagrin of the person trying to rile me with his comments. Another disappointing critique.. and that's the end of school. What an anticlimax.

After the end of college, Joanna picked me up at we went to Moe's, where Chuck met us for food before he and I headed up to Hoboken. The Deptford Moe's is terrible. Maybe it's just the quality of the one in Millville, but I'm always disappointed up there.

We got to Maxwell's early for the show so we took a walk down to the river while we waited for doors to open. It's always a nice place to hang out and enjoy the view of New York.

We went in when doors opened and waited in the mostly empty room until the first band started. They were pretty good and then when they finished the keyboardist stayed on to help Jonah with his opening song, which was a real surprise to me. He played a Gratitude song, which is very unusual. It was a nice surprise.

We were right up front for the whole set, though it was a small crowd even for that venue. He played an awesome set as he always does and left us happy and inspired and wanting more. Luckily for us, we'd be seeing him the next day as well. We had a good drive back home and I went to Westby for a bit with Alex and then went home and watched Scott Pilgrim falling asleep.

No comments: