Friday, May 20, 2011

May 20, 2011

We got up around dawn and started breaking down our tent, greeted by the only other person awake at the campground who informed me about the reticulated woodpecker she's been on the lookout for in the trees. We headed right for the nearest Waffle House for our planned pajama breakfast. It's a great place. We split waffles and hash browns and had the cheap and delicious egg biscuits.

After several attempts we found a place to shower and then, refreshed, took back to the road looking for something to do. We saw signs for Shenandoah Vineyards so we decided to go for it. We were their first customers of the day and the pleasant woman behind the counter promptly got us some glasses and started pouring! Gotta love free wine. And it was all really good wine to boot. There were several that I wanted to have bottles of, including the Rebel Red and a dessert wine that I can't recall the name of.

We took a self-guided tour of the vineyard and took some photos while I mulled over my wine choice. When we came back in I had settled on the Sweet Serenade. It was between that and Rebel Red and I'm still not sure I chose the right one. Should have gotten both.

We took to the road once more and headed north into familiar territory.. and familiar traffic. Once we got near D.C. we slowed to a crawl for a lot of the beltway. We looked for more wineries with free tastings, but it seemed that our luck was only good for one. Either way it was a great one to stop if we only got one.

When we got home it was pouring as we unloaded Alex's car and I got my stuff back into mine. I bid her adieu after our five days together and then headed home to veg out and nap before vegging out and sleeping.

No comments: