Friday, May 13, 2011

May 13, 2011

The day had finally come and I started it out at the only logical place: Westby. I tried on my cap and gown for the first time, and they fit as well as those things can fit. Alex met me there and we headed over to the field in front of Bunce to join the rest of the graduates.

We stood in line for a while and talked until it was time to shuffle slowly to our seats on the lawn and then wait for everyone else to find their seats.

There were a lot of speakers that made us wonder why they were there.. besides the donation of money to the university. A lot of boring, off-topic speeches later, Farish finally got up there to announce each of the colleges, complete with personalized puns for each section. It was a nice way to remember him as he's moving on as well after this semester.

Once we turned our tassles to the other side of our caps we were set free.. sort of. We broke up to the separate colleges to have our small ceremonies. The Fine and Performing Arts department had theirs in Pfleeger Hall. There were a few musical performances, some dramatic pieces and Alex gave a speech about her time at Rowan, her graphic design work and the Gallery Publication. Aside from tech difficulties it was really good.

We all dispersed and talked to people in the hallways. Maybe the last time I'll see some of those people that I used to see on an almost daily basis.

I went with my mom and sister to Olive Garden for a good lunch. Tracy turned out to be two tables away from us. We had a good time talking and spending time.

I met Christy for some tennis at Bethel Mill. I couldn't tell you how the game went, but I'm sure it was fun and followed by a walk around the park.

I went for a run around the park myself after she left and then found this nice little spot by the water with a seat on the tree roots to sit and read for a while.

Finally graduated. Don't feel any different.

No comments: