Saturday, January 29, 2011

Jan 29, 2011

I picked up Shannon and we went to the Piazza in Northern Liberties to the 104.5 free winter concert something-or-other. We did have to pay for parking but for a free show that's not bad. We trekked through the muddy parking lot and over to the plaza just as Terrible Things was going on.

The band consists of Fred, previously of Taking Back Sunday, and Andy from Hot Rod Circuit. They played a really good set, with the exception of a Led Zeppelin cover which I wasn't really into.

It was great to see Andy Jackson in action again and some of the songs sounded like old Hot Rod Circuit. I definitely need to pick up their CD.

We went around the corner between bands to get lunch. I found a nice little bar with great southwestern food and a lot of vegetarian/vegan options. I just got a giant burrito but I'd like to go back and try some of the other things on the menu.

When we got back to the stage, Valencia was just starting their set. We moved up in the crowd to stay warm as it started snowing.

I always forget how good they are until I see them live. And I always know more of their songs than I expect to. They played a fun, energetic set and the crowd was into it.

We wandered around the plaza and I bought some merch after Valencia played, then we moved up to the front for Bayside.

Bayside came out to songs from The Walking Wounded and kept the pace up for a few songs until "Masterpiece" when people started a pit and we got into it. It was swiftly broken up by security but it was fun while it lasted.

They played a bunch of great songs, old and new. People kept opening it up and it kept getting shut down by security but the set was great, the crowd was good and it was a lot of fun.

I went back to Shannon's to get ready and then went to pick up Katie* for our date at Kokopelli's Tequila Bar in Philly. We had some great drinks, the blood orange martini and the margarita. Both were really good.

We were seated and then got to ordering the tapas-style food. We got a corn bisque, sweet potato fries and crab cakes for dinner. They were all amazing. We had a trifle thing for dessert, which came in a little shot glass. Good thing because I could have eaten a lot of it. After sitting and talking for a while and finishing our drinks, we decided to head out to find a bar.

After a little bit of walking around in the cold, we went to Good Dog, where we stood awkwardly for a while with our drinks until some people left and we got a seat at the bar. The Stone beer I had was the best of the evening.

We had a few drinks and met an interesting guy that we hung out with and talked to while we watched Ace Ventura and Cheaters with the closed captioning on. It was really quite amusing. After a few drinks and a lot of laughing I took Katie* home for the night and headed back to Jersey.

I stopped at Shannon's on the way back at her house party, where I was just in time to see a window get smashed, a table get broken and a bunch of people being rude and getting kicked out. When things calmed down and everything was in order, I finally headed home.

I had a really great day. It was a lot of fun being in the city in the snow and having a good night out with good people.

No comments: