Saturday, January 15, 2011

Jan 15, 2011

I picked up Laura and Jess for Divine Lorraine Hotel part two. We surveyed the outside area, hid our cameras in our jackets for some reason and then found and entrance around the back of the building.

Immediately after entering I saw a kid in the main room and it didn't phase me at all for some reason. I just said hey and he introduced himself. He found another way in and saw us coming in so figured he would join in. The inside of the hotel was crumbling, partly from neglect but also due to renovations that were started then abandoned.

There were some really cool things to see on the first floor alone. Nice open areas and broken windows with a lot of graffiti.

We wandered through the basement into the adjacent building, where we found a large machine room. Jess was a little scared while Chris and Laura explored dark holes that seemingly led nowhere.

We went up a few flights of stairs in that building and found some creepy hallways that looked like an apartment building. Chris kicked in a door to find a homeless man in the room who suggested we leave. They raced down the stairs pretty quickly. I should have held onto my flashlight.

We went back over to the hotel to explore some of the main floor. We wanted to take the elevator but I guess it wasn't working.

We took the stairs instead. I wish I had my tripod to get some better shots of the staircase and other things in the darker rooms without using flash. It's a really great building.

Most of the higher floors look just like this. The floors have been torn up but they are all concrete and not weak and frightening like I expected them to be.

We kept going up, finding new things on each floor and I got some pretty good shots from all of them.

The windows were my favorite things. There were different ones on each floor. I love this view of the skyline from inside one of the higher floors.

Every third floor or so had a walkway bridge that overlooked a small courtyard. We ventured out on some of the balconies to look up and down. I love the design of the building. I wish we could have seen it in its prime.

We got to the top floor, where we could see the top of the sign over the roof just slightly. We went up to the loft above the top floor to attempt to get up on the roof but there was another homeless man sleeping up there so we went back down.

This fire escape was an option to get out around the side of the building, but between the ice and the rusted steps I didn't trust it at all.

We descended and parted ways with Chris then headed to Whole Foods for lunch. They had buffalo seitan and curry tofu which was all quite good.

Jess really wanted frozen yogurt so we went to Phileogurt. She got a big heaping pile of stuff and I just got some fruit and granola without the yogurt.

Chuck and Jeff came over later in the evening to play a game of Trivial Pursuit, the game that Jessica Simpson can't believe her boyfriend beat her at. We played for quite a long while. It was a good time and Jeff ended up winning. Stupid sports questions.

The rest of the night was uneventful as usual, TV shows and the like.

No comments: