Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dec 19, 2010

This Boston post is long and full of arguably unnecessary photos (and unnecessary words, for that matter.) Fair warning. I didn't sleep very long so when I got up I wanted something good for breakfast. Finagle a Bagel was the answer I sought and they served me with the most glorious breakfast sandwich I've had since last time I was here: jalapeno bagel, tomato, egg, avocado and black bean spread. I was ready to go after that sandwich.

We walked the chilled streets down to Quincy Market to browse the food we could have eaten for breakfast and planned to eat for dinner. Boston is definitely a walking city and there is something to see everywhere. The architecture is very unique and I always like to see it.

Though I've never watched the show, I recognize the inside of the Cheers bar at this replica location inside Quincy Market. I mostly took photos for Chuck, but he's been there before.

I wanted to go to the water so we walked in that direction, stopping at this dock to take some photographs of Cambridge and the frozen river.

While I took photos, Jackie entertained herself doing this. It looked like fun, but I was wearing regular shoes and preferred to not get my socks wet.

We walked over Harvard bridge toward MIT, being passed by runners constantly. Boston really is a running town. I need to do that again. Not in this weather though.

I was happy to see that the construction/repairs on the main dome of the Maclaurin buildings was complete and unobstructed this time. I feel inadequate just standing in front of this structure. It symbolizes such high-thinking and innovation that it leaves me awestruck while reminding me how little I have achieved.

We walked over to the Stata Center to see the wonders of Frank Gehry's architecture. We got a different view of it this time.

This is just a detail of one of the buildings; a very recognizable section to anyone who knows Gehry's work. It's such a work of art but still maintains functionality. As we passed the windows, we saw robotics (one dressed like a pirate) and the kind of things we would never see elsewhere. I guess that comes with the territory at the most prestigious technical institute in the world.

I had an interesting time taking photos in the reflective surfaces on the buildings. This is the best I can do. I construct poorly composed photographs with amazing architecture in them.

We walked back toward the river and found the phrase on the ground that I really love from the last time I was there. I took some time and got some good shots of it this time.

Somehow I have a perfect map in my mind of the city from last time I walked around Cambridge because I easily found the pub we went to last time and went in for a drink and some curry fries to warm up.

Another cold walk back through town and through the Common and we were back to Jackie's place to take a nap.

Once rested, we went back to Quincy Market to look for food and see the tree lit up. The lights were nice but the market was closed so we couldn't get anything to eat. We went back and got some Chinese on Boylston instead.

While Jackie packed her things I went back out the Public Gardens and shot some photos from the ice. I took a lot of reflection shots with the bridge in it. It's the nicest view I encountered while I was here.

We packed up and headed to South Station, where we caught the midnight Megabus to Philly. Luckily I'm not the only one who was up late so I was able to have a conversation via text to keep me occupied for a long while. Stuff You Should Know kept me occupied once again for much of the trip and then Jackie woke up when we got to Jersey.

A few train rides and a short drive home later and I was home, ready to sleep with the morning sun lighting up my room.

No comments: