Thursday, August 5, 2010

Aug 5, 2010

Once we did a few car switches and weather searches and decided to go to New York despite the forecast, Ryan, Erika, Katie and I were off and through the Holland Tunnel.

The first stop was Cheepz for falafel. I wish we had one of these in Philly. It two bucks for a sandwich and it's delicious. They aren't nearly as friendly as the people at our place but at least the food is good. We sat down at a coffee shop to eat and came back to the car to find a parking ticket. Oops.

We went up to our safe and secure parking garage and then joined the line for the Daily Show; yes, my second time this week. We were a little farther back this time than I was on Tuesday but still close to the front.

Katie and Erika passed the time playing cards. There wasn't room for us all to sit down or we probably would have joined in.

The waiting didn't seem so bad this time either. We had a lot to entertain us like the lady behind us doing squats for no apparent reason and eating a pretzel with mustard all over her face. You can always count on strange people to keep you occupied.

I went in disguise.. well, I changed my clothes, shaved and wore sunglasses and a hat.. since you're technically only supposed to go once per six months. I'm pretty sure they didn't care either way but it made it more exciting.

We were ushered in early to get out of the heat and took our seats before the opening guy came out. The warm-up show was great and the show itself was hilarious. Jon talked a lot about the California judge who overturned Prop 8. Most of us in the crowd were excited about that ruling. Larry Wilmore did a piece on the race card and the guest was an author about Muslims coming to America. I really like the shows where they combine the funny things with seriousness.

We met up with Nathan and Jeff after the show and hopped on a subway downtown to get some dinner.

We went to S'Mac since some of us had never been there. We had to wait a few minutes for seats to open up but then we ordered our steaming hot plates of macaroni and cheese. Nathan really liked his but I think it possessed him. He got a spicy one so they may have seasoned it with the devil.

I tried something different and created my own. I put veggies in it with gruyere cheese. It was really good but I couldn't finish it. More for later! I think everyone enjoyed their cheesy experience.

We went around the corner to a bar and had a few drinks while discussing our predictions on the lifespans of various animals. More often than not our average guess was really close to the right age. If you ever need to know how long an animal will live just ask us and we'll guess.

We all headed to the subway soon after to get home. Nathan headed back to Brooklyn and we rode with Jeff halfway back to where he was headed before we got off and walked back to our car.

After a ride home that just seemed long and a few car transfers I was back home and ready to just fall asleep.

No comments: