Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sep 8, 2013


After successfully finding a ticket for the Fall Out Boy show for a good price, I had to go to Philly early to meet the guy at the box office. I met the guy I talked to and his daughter, who was very upset about not being able to go to the show. I was happy to get a ticket though. I went over to the nearby Whole Foods to get food from their bar for lunch and ate most of it before going out for a game at Sedgley by myself. I had a good game and the course played really fast.


 I went to The Abbaye for a couple of beers, the Anchor BigLeaf Maple which was pretty tasty and the Terrapin Tree Hugger which was refreshing. It got pretty boring sitting at a table by myself so I walked over to The Foodery and constructed myself a four pack of beers with generous ABVs. I parked my car a block from the Liacouras Center and poured my Wawa cup full of the Cape of Good Hope and turned up the Less Than Jake. This year's batch is amazing. It was a little awkward since Broad Street is really busy at that area, but I was enjoying myself. Darkness fell and I was texting people inside to find out when I should finish my last beer and head in.


There was a little bit of a line at the door so I ended up missing Panic's first song or two. It was unfortunate that I found out later that they played my favorite song first. They were really good, and I was surprised to know more of the songs they played than I thought I would. Even the newer ones they played were ones I had heard or was familiar with. It was a fun set, but the crowd was filled with jerks and people that just wanted to stand still. I wasn't having any of that.


After a long wait with people pushing on me intentionally and making friends with people nearby as I talked about what assholes the others were being, Fall Out Boy finally came out. They opened with "The Phoenix," which is a great opener and then went into a great selection of songs. They played quite a few new songs, which I got into during the show, but I wished they played more older stuff of course. Patrick played a piano acoustic version of "What a Catch, Donnie" and then segued into "20 Dollar Nose Bleed" with Brendan Urie. That was a cool moment.


They went out to a small stage in the center of the GA section to play a small acoustic set of "Lawyer" and "Grand Theft Autumn," which I would very much rather hear electric. After that they finished the regular set and started the encore with "Save Rock and Roll," so I was pleased with that choice. They finished strong with "Saturday" as always and the crowd slowly filed up the steps and back out to the street. I was really glad that I parked on the street because the parking garages were a mess. I was literally in my house before Kate told me her and Jon were finally getting on the bridge.

No comments: