Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sep 15, 2013


After a breakfast at Chicago Diner we drove to Humboldt Park and found a parking spot a block away for free all day. Funny how we've been getting closer each day with the car. It was raining and chilly out so I wasn't looking forward to a day in shorts and a t-shirt, but I also didn't want to bring a hoodie that would just get heavy and wet, so I went with the possibly uncomfortably cold choice. 

When we got to the gate we witnessed a girl casually walk past the ticket-takers, one of whom called to her and started to go up behind her. She noticed and she began to run (very slowly. very. slowly.) prompting a "security guard" to run after her for all of about 10 seconds. At that point they threw up their hands and said "I guess she got away." I was tempted to chase her myself as it wouldn't have taken much effort. The rest of walked on saying, "Oh that was all we had to do to get in for free? Shit. I wasted a hundred bucks!"

We got to the Rock Stage shortly before Hostage Calm came on. There were very few people there, partially because it was early and probably because of the rain. A handful of people knew their songs and were getting into. I was just standing in between people to stay warm. I would repeat this technique for the rest of the day.


We stayed at the Rock Stage near the front for the half hour between bands so we would be close for The Wonder Years. They came out and played an awesome, energetic set including new songs. I hadn't heard them play anything off the new album yet and the songs work very well live in their set. I love that album. Soupy ran off the stage and climbed a tree as we sang along and then did a front flip into the crowd and they surfed him back up front. I really love this band more every time I see them.


Next we had to run the straight line to the Rise Stage way at the other end of the street through crowded, muddy grass and dirt. We got there before Bayside started somehow and caught their whole set. Of course they were awesome. I was right up front, which was better than being along the curb last night at this stage. I felt very packed in at that point and had a hard time enjoying it at times when people around me weren't getting into it much. After that we went back to the other stage to watch Bad Books, which is Kevin Devine and Andy Hull's project. I don't know their music really, but seeing them was great. I think I'll be listening soon.


We went back to the Rise Stage yet again to see Best Coast. I don't know their music at all, but I figured I'd give them a shot. I squeezed up front to steal warmth from people, but no one was moving or really showing any recognition or interest in the band at all, so I decided it was time to go to my apartment. Yes, I did spent about a half hour alone in a porta-potty. No, I do not feel bad about this. It was warm-ish, not windy, and I could still hear the music. All wins for me.


I begrudgingly exited my warm little personal space and went back to the Rock Stage for Saves the Day. I was happy to see that the crowd was very into them. They played a fast and fan-pleasing set as they always do. I never leave a Saves the Day show thinking, "I wish they played this song," because they always play all of those songs. The new songs were fun and sound really good live as well.


I headed over to the mud pit formerly known as the Roots Stage and squirmed my way forward waiting for Brand New. There was this really perfect line of people that were standing on the edge of the grass, staying out of the muddy gravel area of the baseball diamond so when I got to this point I broke through like an event horizon and popped out on the other side mildly confused. Once my shoes were muddy it really didn't matter anymore so I trudged on. Brand New played songs. They played "Tommy Gun" of course but also "Quiet Things," which I would never expect. It was an okay set but much too Daisy-heavy for my taste. Not to mention the huge sea of people between myself and the stage really took away from some of the fun and energy I enjoy. I did have fun shooting photos of hundreds of cell phones taking video of the video monitor though. Ah, proof that they saw Jesse on a big TV in a park in Chicago. They will be the talk of their respective towns.


I ran away during the last song of Brand New to get to the Riot Stage in time to hear the opening guitar riff to "The Leaving Song pt. 2" which got me excited for AFI's set. I rushed up to the front of the crowd the best I could as they screamed through songs from Sing the Sorrow, my favorite album. They played some older songs that seemed to please the pit crowd and some newer songs that I almost didn't remember that I knew so well. They were, above all else, entertaining and fun. I was happy at this point that I bought tickets to see them in New Jersey next month.


After the awesome finish of AFI we walked the one block back to our car and then went back to, you guessed it, Chicago Diner. This was after a quick change out of wet, gross clothes in the car. I mean we really couldn't leave without one more visit. I decided to go for the Rodenbach flemish ale. It was quite tasty but not exactly what I'd wanted it to be. I got a reuben of course because I knew I would never regret that decision. I was right. I mean, just look at it. I thought about another milkshake, but I decided against that one as I might regret that.


With full bellies we hit the road heading back east into Indiana. We drove for a while until we were getting tired and then pulled over and set up camp for the night.

No comments: