Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sep 14, 2013


Chicago Diner again?? Yes. This time we parked right down the street from the diner since we saw so much parking yesterday. Found an all-day free spot within a mile of the park. I got the country fried steak and potatoes. Need a hearty meal if you're going to be watching music all day. It was amazing but huge. I took half of it with me.


I couldn't leave without getting the peanut butter cookie dough milkshake. It's one of those things that makes you make sounds as soon as you taste it. It is probably the best thing I have ever had. Really. If I wouldn't get sick and fat I would have like 30 of them. We went next door to Revolution Brewing so I could get a few beers and download things with their WiFi. We spent some time hanging out there until Joanna was ready to go down to the show. There were no bands I wanted to see for another 4-5 hours so I stayed behind and hung out in the car catching up on shows, trying not to fall asleep, and taking walks around the neighborhood.


Time really moved slowly while I waited, but I'm sure I could have found more interesting and useful things to do with my time that would have helped that. Eventually it was time to head down to the park so I got a slice of pizza to go from the bar we parked across from and walked swiftly down the street. I got into the gates just as Rancid was starting to play their first song. Those guys kick some ass. They played sooooo much from And Out Come the Wolves. I was quite happy. They seemed to have the crowds full attention as well, so that was nice. Great way to kick off the night.


I ran over to the Rise Stage to see Taking Back Sunday. They are consistently one of my favorite bands to see live. They are so much fun and they play a great selection of songs since they got the original lineup back.


There is a giant riser/VIP area about 100 feet from the stage directly in the middle of everything, which blocks the view of anyone behind it from almost all directions. This leads people to flood the sides of the stage, one of which is situated on a hill with a large curb on the edge. This is not a good thing to be underfoot in a crowd of thousands. One person trip and goes down the hill, taking a bunch of other people with them. It kept happening so I got away from it as best I could. I ended up on the side, down the hill, and right up front. It was still a decent view, but there was a very drunk girl that kept trying to get me to push forward and I kept telling her to go bother someone else.


During the last song we ran away to the Riot Stage to see Blink come on. They played basically the same set from the Starland show, but it was a good set so I can't complain. I was right up front for a bit, but I never tend to like that so I dropped back to where the pit was and had fun with all of my peoples. In usual Blink fashion, they sprayed the crowd with confetti at the end of the set and Mark stayed on stage awkwardly long trying to be funny (read: being funny) and the power went out right before his single-bass-note punchline.


I waited for a long while in the dark for Joanna at the merch area, but she finally appeared and we took our long-ish walk back to the car. It was nice to get out of there faster this time. We headed back to our spot at the hotel and made our car bed for the night.

No comments: