Saturday, July 9, 2011

Jul 9, 2011

The day began with some driving to the east entrance to the park, followed by the decision of what to wear in the cooler weather. I went with several layers. We got on the trail to Glacier Lake which had a noticeable grade at first but leveled off quickly to a grade that is barely noticeable as we climbed.

We crossed over a large stream and passed over several smaller ones on the trail that followed the edge of the mountain.

We came to the portion that we had heard about: snow! It seemed like it was a there to stay. The path carved by other people walking it was narrow and dangerous. If we slipped there was a long slide before we dropped off the mountain.

I got the hang of walking in it after a while. I just dug my heels in each time I took a step and that seemed to steady me enough to walk with some confidence.

We came to a part of the trail where there were giant holes in the snow where it had melted. It was scary to walk on the edge of those holes as water ran underneath.

We got to Glacier Lake, where the snow led straight down to the water's edge. We sat on some rocks and rested while we had a snack and a drink of water. We headed down to the water to get another view of the lake before heading back through the snow and down the trail.

On the way back out of the park there was a little Mexican place that looked good so we tried it out. I got a burrito that was great and Joanna got tater tot nachos. The dogs were friendly too as they lazed about and sat by our table.

We had seen signs all over the place in Montana and around Glacier about Huckleberry pie so I felt like I had to try some before we left. It was really good. Small berries. And ice cream.

We drove through Montana and ended up sleeping in a Wal*Mart lot. I couldn't get comfortable at first, but I did manage to fall asleep easily enough.

No comments: