Friday, July 8, 2011

Jul 8, 2011

We got up and took advantage of showers at the campground and then got back on the road. Big Sky Country got its name for a reason.

We got to Glacier National Park and got some info before heading up to do the Avalanche Lake hike. It was immediately nice scenery. The rushing water has a quality about it that seems like glacial water. I don't know if it's the color or what, but I just felt that I was in the Pacific Northwest.

The forest was thick with tall trees as we followed the trail up to the lake. We passed a lot of people coming back. The wind started to pick up and the trees were almost blowing horizontally.

It wasn't very long before we arrived at the lake. The view was great. I wish I had my wide angle. The mountains wrapped around the lake on all sides with melt water falling from several places dramatically. We sat there for quite a while just looking at it. Quite a few people asked me to take photos of them. Maybe it was the camera around my neck that drew them to me.

This photo was taken in exchange for taking a photo of someone else. This was my favorite view of the lake. The fallen trees in the water seemed to epitomize Montana for me.

We came back down the trail and stopped to check out the rushing water under a bridge. I had to climb down here to get the photo I wanted.

When we got back we had dinner and got our lecture from the park rangers about putting our food away so the bears wouldn't come to us. We played some games, including Bananagrams and a few card games before retiring for the night.

It stayed light out until after ten. It felt so strange. We did go to bed early but the people across from us were being obnoxious so I had to ask them to calm down a bit. They were very friendly and apologized so then I could sleep.

No comments: