Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Jun 1, 2011

I got up a little after 2am, had a bagel then headed over to pick up Jess and Laura. We drove through the dark through Maryland, stopping once at Dunkin' Donuts, until we got to Catoctin Mountain Park just as the sun was popping up over the horizon.

We got our stuff ready and then took to the trail. We were taking the long, outer loop that hit all of the overlooks and peaks.

The forest looked awesome on our way up the first side.

It was a lot of up and down, even on the first ascent. We had some steep climbs and then we would have to go down a bit before going up again.

We got to the first awesome view at Chimney Rock. We could see for miles around and there were plenty of big rocks to climb on.

We had to jump back and forth over a crevice to get to the view, but that was the best part and it became easy after the first time. We kept doing it and taking photos of each other.

I had to get out to the Chimney Rock. It was a little difficult to get to, but I made it. I couldn't get on top of it easily enough so I didn't take the chance.

We took a break for a while and had some trail mix and took photos, enjoying the view a while longer before getting back on the trail.

We went down some more and around some more wooded trails before coming upon more rocks. I followed a large bird across the top of a ridge that I climbed up and that brought us to Wolf Rock, the second overlook.

We climbed around on these rocks as well. Jess did most of the climbing this time. Laura was not a fan of Wolf Rock. I liked my shadow.

We got deeper into the woods and the trail was mostly hilly wooded trails from then on. We came upon this guy, and Laura played with him (read: tortured) for a while. We stopped nearby for a lunch break on some rocks.

After quite a bit more hiking up and down some rocky trails, we came to Cunningham Falls. It looked pretty great so we took of our shoes and started climbing!

Jess and I approved. The hot rock was a little rough on our feet, but it felt nice to put them in the water.

We sat with our feet over the edge for a while after we had cooled off in the water a bit. We climbed up and over the rocks to see where the stream began. A lot more people had stopped by and were climbing up and getting in the water.

It looked like a pretty good idea so we went in too! The water was cold at first but felt amazing after I got used to it. It was exhilarating to stand under a waterfall and let it cascade over my head.

We played in the big pools of water for a while. Every time we got out we just wanted to get back in because it was so hot.

I started sliding down the falls like a water slide. It was surprisingly smooth and a lot of fun! Sadly, we climbed down and put our shoes back on so we could finish the last long mile of our hike, talk to the ranger at the visitor's center and get a free caribiner for hiking so many trails. We got some Sheetz food (sooo good in a better-than-Wawa way) and got back on the road, hitting a little bit of traffic on the way back.

We went up to Quizzo shortly after I got back. We didn't do quite as well this week and I got some overpriced coconut shrimp. Can't win every time.

I'm surprised I wasn't more tired after waking up so early and hiking all day, but I got to sleep shortly after I got home. Great day!

No comments: