Sunday, June 26, 2011

Jun 26, 2011

We got up later than planned since we stayed up late and still wanted to check out something nearby so we headed toward Boulder. This is what a casual drive looks like there.

We headed into Boulder Mountain Park and found no hikes that looked very good until we saw the three Flatirons rising toward the sky and decided we needed to find a trail that would take us to the top of them.

We found the trailhead and began our hike up a steep hill which was made even worse because we were starting at a much higher altitude than we are used to. The trail took us over some rock scrambles and started to zigzag up the mountain.

We came to a climbing section. This was not a bouldering section, but a real climbing area. It was somewhat unfamiliar to us since we can never find this stuff. We got to it and began climbing the quite steep face.

There were plenty of hand and footholds, but when I looked down I was still a little overwhelmed by how steep the section we were climbing on was. I had to step back for a minute and shake it off before I could continue up. There were several technical climbers on the face across from us with proper gear and climbing up an almost vertical section.

When we got closer to the top I climbed up an area that looked promising, where I thought I could get up a chimney to the right and make it to the other side. It ended up being too difficult to get up and then the crack that I climbed up was much more difficult to down climb than I had hoped. I stayed up there for a while, working it out and pysching myself up to finally come down.

We retraced our climb to get down and then took the switchback trail to the top. We got a great view of the late day sun cast on one of the Flatirons. They were beautiful in the sunlight.

I was so exhausted by the time we got to the top. I had run out of water and was just parched and out of breath. We took some time to enjoy the scenery and then headed back down quickly.

We found a Jamba Juice for a delicious refreshment on the way home. We picked up some Greek food at Daphne's Cafe, where the guy working the register was so nice it made me happy and made me want to live there. We brought the food back to Steve's and enjoyed it while spending the night playing a game called Boom Blox. It's addictive.

We stayed up late again having fun playing games. It's really easy to lose track of time.

No comments: