Sunday, June 5, 2011

Jun 5, 2011

We headed out to Ramapo Reservation in the morning to meet Lindsey for a hike, but when we arrived Joanna realized she didn't bring her shoes. We had to make a short trip into New York to Wal*Mart for a pair. It was the most interesting trip to one I've ever had. I can't even describe it, but there were some strange people there and long, long lines.

We came back and got started on what looked like a flat, family hike at first but quickly turned steep and fun. I suppose fun is a relative description. It was much more strenuous than I had expected.. in a good way.

We got to our first overlook quickly and stopped for a minute to check out the view and then continued on.

The trail continued up steeply and then dropped down for a long time before we leveled off again for a while. As always, the down-hiking was worse than the climb.

We crossed a nice stream with giant boulders in it so we took some time to climb some of them and hop around.

We made it to the "top," or at least the main overlook area. We took this chance to sit down and take a break, have some Clif bars and water and take pictures, of course.

In the hazy distance on the horizon we could see the Manhattan skyline. It was really awesome being able to see it from such a remote place. I wish I could have gotten better shots, but it was good enough to experience it.

The hike was down and up from there; nothing too taxing, but it wasn't over yet. We passed the "ruins" marked on the map near the lake. They were old building that just seemed to have not been cleaned up. The lake road took us back to the more populated trail and back to our parking lot.

We went to Applebee's for some much-needed food. Everything was good except the service. Lindsey headed out and Joanna and I went down the road to the Campgaw disc golf course. There were two layouts and we could play the one we hadn't played before this time.

This one was longer than the other while following the same path as the other one. Some of the holes were the same and I remember them well even though they were covered in snow last time.

When we got to the bottom this time we had to head back up to finish the course. Everything was going fine until we got to around hole 13, when they just stopped cutting the grass it seemed. It got really high and it became difficult to find our discs. I lost one and we climbed this ski lift tower to look for it with no luck.

By that point I had enough of worrying about losing discs every time I threw so we skipped to the last one, which was probably a bad idea to do but hard to pass up since it was a crazy long shot down a mountain. I shot two and found them with Joanna's help, though she lost hers. It would be a lot of fun if it weren't for the ridiculous grass.

We came back and I headed home a little later than I had expected to, but it was a really fun day nonetheless and I was worn out.

No comments: