Friday, July 9, 2010

Jul 9, 2010

After a breakfast of sugary cereal followed by an egg and cheese sandwich I hopped on the train in Rahway to New York. I did some reading on the train. It makes me wish I took trains more often.

I met up with Jackie and saw her Chelsea apartment. Pretty nice. We hung out for a while as I cooled down from the balmy weather outside and then decided to head to Brooklyn.

We walked the streets of Williamsburg for a while, checking out some overpriced shops, watching a student film crew shoot some scenes and getting a smoothie to keep it cool.

Any questions? Ask beer. That's what I do. We went to the Brooklyn Ale House to escape the heat and have a few afternoon drinks to kill some time.

A few drinks turned into a few more and then a few shots and then we were drunk. It all happened so fast. The Genessee Cream Ale was really good though. The shots of Honey something or another Wild Turkey were also not bad. The honey really masks the whiskey taste.

We met a couple at the bar who we struck up a conversation with. The girl was a model so Jackie had things to talk to her about and her husband was really funny so we had something in common too... right? We had a good time talking and they posed for some shots. Not too bad for drunk photographer in a poorly lit bar, eh?

They decided we should go back to their apartment and hang out so we ended up in a cab, laughing all the way back to their place. Simon had an amazing vinyl collection of old punk music so we threw on some Bad Religion and hung out having some more drinks. A NOFX album or two later, we decided it was time to head back out.

I have no idea where this bar was but we walked there I think. It's a little blurry at this point. We met a few of Simon's friends from the neighborhood there and had more beers. Ah, more beers, what a great idea! I don't even know what we were drinking at that point. I just said, "I'll have one of those, too!" after someone ordered.

Simon was there some of the time.. I'm not sure where he disappeared to randomly but I was amongst his friends who were either laughing with me or at me. It could have been either at that point. At one point I decided it was time to be sober so I started eating breadsticks and drinking water. It didn't really work.

After losing contact with most people I recognized I started walking to Jackie's apartment only to realize I was in Brooklyn and she lives in Manhattan. I only got about half a block before I came to this realization, by the way. So I came back, sat with people I knew until Jackie got there and we stayed a little longer while I drank more water and then took a nice walk to the train station.

Do I look drunk? I am. I was so tired and felt so bad when I got back. It felt like it should be almost dawn but it was not too long after midnight. That's what happens when you start drinking in the afternoon. I just drank water and fell asleep, waking up every now and then. Oh, what a night! It really was pretty great though.

No comments: