Friday, July 30, 2010

Jul 30, 2010

Ah, the Poconos. This time, instead of skiing we were in for a weekend of disc golf. I hope you like pictures of parks and baskets because that's pretty much what we've got. We started at Yetter Park, which is a really nicely groomed park with this path leading you from one hole to the next.

It runs along this river which comes into play on two holes. It's a nice scenic break in the middle of the course even though we didn't really stop because of the people behind us.

The rest of the course plays mainly in the woods, with a few tricky shots around trees and one up a hill. There were some narrow fairways and an unfriendly guy doing something who didn't get out of the way when we were shooting. I was hoping my shot would go astray and hit him.

The course gets a good rating from me. I would definitely go back to this one. It's impossible to get lost and even though there aren't many long shots, it's a lot of fun.

We stopped at Holy Guacamole for lunch. It's basically a Moe's with a lot more hot sauce. The burritos were huge and really good. I was so stuffed after eating this. I'm not even sure how I ate the whole thing. Or why.

The next course on our stop was one that I had been to before, but under a foot of snow. Francis E. Walter Dam looked very similar without the precipitation.

It starts in a field but the woods slowly start to take over each hole. There were a few cases of lost discs but all were found and I found a new one as well.

This is my favorite. There are nine "bonus" holes on this course, making it a 27-hole total. The extra holes were a lot of fun. They pretty much made the course twice as good as it would have been otherwise. Also, each bonus basket was a different fun color.

This is one that I would return to again in this weather. I probably wouldn't visit in the snow again but it's a great course by itself and the bonus holes just take it up a notch.

Next, we found our way to Eurana Park, a 9-hole course south of the dam. It starts in a big field but gets right into thick woods. A lot of the shots demand accuracy or luck. I usually blame the latter for my good shots.

The nine holes went really quickly, shooting down a narrow path through trees to the lake where we started at the end. The lake was nice as well, with a slide into the swimming area that a group of kids were enjoying.

Ferns. This is one that I would come back to as well. I only wish there were another nine holes to play. I was tempted to play it a second time while we were there.

Our final course of the day was Hickory Run State Park. Before we played we picked out a campsite and paid for it so we had a place to go when we got done. This is another course we played in the snow before. It starts out wide open in the middle of the park with a lot of long shots.

The back nine plays into the woods, where it gets a lot thicker and a little hard to follow at times. The holes have been changed slightly so the paths are not exactly how they appear on the map. The back was fun with a few close shots that aggravated me.

I probably wouldn't come back here unless I was in the area already, but it was a fun course for the day.

When we got back to our campsite we were accompanied by a family of deer. This fawn came close to our area a few times.

We put up the tent and then went in search of wood. We found none. The camp was pretty packed and the wood was all picked over so no fire for us.

With nothing to do I laid down early and got to sleep. It was much better with the camping mats than it was when we slept on the ground backpacking.

No comments: