Sunday, July 25, 2010

Jul 25, 2010

Once again trying to avoid much leg work, we went to the gym and did a lot of free weights and then ab exercises. I can still feel the tightness in my legs from the hike. It's a surprisingly good workout even though just walking somehow feels like we didn't really "exercise." Ryan and I both agreed that we felt that way.

After the gym we played some Mario on Wii and then got into Blades of Steel just as it got dark outside suddenly. We put up our car windows and not long after it started raining like crazy. We went out on the porch to check it out and the lightning was constant, followed by what was probably the loudest thunder I've ever heard. It rained hard for a while, creating streams down the road and the driveway. Once it let up, though, it was very nice and calm out.

When I got home, this is what my driveway looked like. I'm glad I wasn't parked here. This tree has dropped limbs before but nothing like this. A good portion of the upper limbs were down, splintered by the wind.

Part of it hit the neighbors' house and took down their awning. It was a crazy sight and somehow it missed our house completely!

Jimmy and I took a ride around the neighborhood, which was very similar to my yard. There were trees down everywhere; on top of houses, across roads, everywhere. This was a particularly damaged area with two phone poles down. The news has been saying it was possibly a tornado. Our part of town seems to have been hit the worst.

I went to check on my grandmom, whose house was fine but there were trees down blocking her street and several streets around her. She's lucky she didn't have any trees in her yard. I took a walk down to the woods, which was surprisingly untouched and got a nice shot of the beautiful sunset we had. Moonrise was almost as amazing.

For the rest of the night I went to my mom's to get online and watch Mad Men since I didn't have power. The flash really lights this image up but I was sitting in my bed reading by candlelight until I went to sleep.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

telephone pole shot is cool. it's crazy how much damage was done there.

aww haha is that the peppermint candle i got you? if so, how is it?

D.M. said...

it's pretty good. Can't complain.