Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Jan 6, 2010

I picked up Joanna and headed to the train station to go into the city in the morning. It was cold out on the platform.

We took the subway and went to Red Bamboo for lunch. I got the "chicken" parm sandwich. It looks like real chicken too but it's soy. It was delicious and way too big for me to finish. I took this half for later.

We headed to the upper West Side to find the Daily Show studio. It is located in this unassuming building. If it weren't for the giant billboard, it would look like any other apartment building. We walked around for a while looking for a place to get a hat and then looking for Joanna's uncle, who works in Central Park. We found neither and then came back to the studio.

The line was pretty long when we got back. We got on the end of the line and were soon moved around the corner for one reason or another. It was very cold out there. I went to Dunkin' Donuts to get a white hot chocolate to warm me up. It only worked a little bit. Someone came out to tell us all the rules and then eventually we were given tickets that finally guaranteed that we would be getting in (up until that point it was unsure even though we had made reservations online).

After what seemed like a long time, they started letting people in. This was a great greeting for us when we came in. We were ushered to our seats, which were the second row back, right on the floor! They were pretty awesome seats and we were some of the last people seated!

We weren't allowed to take photos in the studio at all but after being prepped, the warm-up guy came out to talk to the audience and get everyone laughing. Jon Stewart came out next to do a Q & A with the audience. He was really witty and hilarious with a lot of the questions. He was really friendly and genuine as well. Then the show started just like expected. He was so good. It was like watching on TV except we could see him while the video clips played. Admiral Michael Mullen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff was the guest. It was a really good, interesting interview.

Jon came back and thanked everyone after the taping and then they did the intro for the international version of the show before we left. Definitely worth the trip and standing in the cold. He is just as hilarious as I hoped he would be. Better in person.

We decided to seek out the tree at Rockefeller Plaza since it was the last day it would be up. We finally made it to the city without getting snowed out. After one really bad shot, we got a woman to take this shot of both us and the tree! Crazy idea, I know..

We hung out in the area for a while, talking about going to the top of the Rock but decided to save it for another time.

We went back to Penn Station and got Moe's before finding our train. We had to wait for a while so we went to the waiting area and probably annoyed the other miserable people waiting for trains by laughing and being loud.

When we got back to her house we watched The Daily Show listening for our laughs (we didn't hear them) and then watched Colbert and Craig Ferguson. At that point it was late and I ended up staying there instead of driving home.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

What a day! I definitely heard my laugh at times amongst the others. Also, thanks for not putting up the picture of death albeit hilarious... though I was expecting one of the following cute ones to be up.

D.M. said...

I was trying to decide which one to put up, let me know which one you like best... i can't tell my "weird" smile from my other one. At least I couldn't last time I looked at them..

Joanna said...

I don't really remember. I thought the first one is where you made a weird face, but I was just a head. Didn't the next one come out okay? I don't know, either or.

Joanna said...

adowable =]