Saturday, February 18, 2017

Feb 18, 2017


I woke up after a nice night of sleep in my car and got right back on the road toward Yetter Park DGC. I thought I had been here before, but it didn't look at all familiar. It was a little chilly out, but I warmed up quickly walking the small hills along the river. The course followed a nice path so it wasn't difficult to navigate and I had the place all to myself so early. The sky was beautiful as the sun came up and the clouds separated into beautiful dots. It was a nice course with a little snow and only one disc that almost ended up in the water. I did pretty well to start.


Next I went to Jordan Creek, where I skipped a couple of holes in the beginning to miss the groups starting there. I figured it would be packed by the time I finished. I ended up having the course all to myself the whole time as well. There was a new hole 5 that was much better than the old one, and I threw nicely across the frozen pond. It was getting warm by the time I finished.


I was getting hungry by that time so I went to Wegman's and got way too much food from the hot bar then headed over to Vegan Treats to get myself some ice cream and picked up a couple of those delicious banana chocolate chip cookies for me and Becca for later.


Little Lehigh DGC was surprisingly not crowded either so I happily got started to beat the crowds I kept expecting. They never came at all and the one small group on the course I passed in the middle. By this point I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt after starting the morning with long pants, a hoodie, and a beanie. I had a lot of fun at this course and the weather was definitely a big part of that.


I played Nockamixon next. I've played it a couple of times, but I always forget which one it is by name. It starts out with a beast of an 800 ft. narrow fairway covered in rocks and trees. After that it is a bit more forgiving, but the landscape improves dramatically. It's beautiful and hilly and there are little waterfalls and steep drop-off shots.


This was the longest course of the day by far, and while I had no holdups, there were quite a few groups out on the course. Toward the middle I came across a credit card sitting in the mud and started playing quickly to try to catch up with the owner. I passed a few groups before finally stumbling upon the card's human and reunited the two. I finished out the last few holes of the game with the two guys who suggested a few good courses and also some good music. It was a happy ending to the story.


I had time for one more course so I went straight to Tinicum Park, another course I've played at least twice and would never have remembered the name of. It was mostly open with a few nice little wooded holes mixed in, including one tight shot through a straight line of trees that I remembered very well. One of my shots skipped hard to the left and I heard a strange sound when I dropped off the edge which turned out to be the disc breaking through the ice. I was surprised there was any ice left since it had been in the 70s all day, but it was thin so I was able to break through and get it pretty easily.


After 5 courses and 90 holes I was done for the day as the sun set. It was a great day and I was really happy that I called the audible to do this. I set a course for Philly and The Abbaye and I was off. I picked up my order and ate the cheesesteak in the car watching Netflix on my phone. I headed back to Millville to see Becca for a little bit and give her the vegan wings and cookies I got for her. We sat and watched TV while nibbling on delicious banana chocolate chip cookies.

No comments: