Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Dec 13, 2016



I woke up earlier than I expected to coming off a couple of nights without a lot of sleep. I went to pick up Becca and got on the road to New York. We started off by stopping at Terri to pick up a chickpea melt and meatball sandwich along with the butterfinger milkshake that I haven't had in a long time. Definitely a good choice. We spent a while trying to find parking near the Brooklyn Bridge and sat there eating before walking out across the bridge. Becca had never done it and it was a gorgeous day. Lots of people on the walkway, but not the worst I've seen. It was a perfect day to walk around.



We planned on going to Torst, but we happened upon a little brewpub around the corner that caught our eye. I half expected it to be a bit boring, but it was such a great place! The bartender was super friendly, jovial, and energetic. There was '90s music on the radio, she was dancing, and, to my surprise, the beer was fantastic! They have an IPA that's amazing, a decent sour, and probably one of the best English bitters I've ever tried. Well done, Keg & Lantern Brewery. Thanks for giving us great beer and a place to sing Britney Spears and Savage Garden. As it turned out, Torst didn't have anything on the menu that seemed enticing for once so I'm glad we found it.


It was probably good that we didn't have more beer anyway because we had a pretty long rush-hour drive across the Queensboro Bridge to the west side of Manhattan. We stopped at Vinnie's Pizza first for dinner carbs that made us both a little sleepy. Still worth it. I got to the meeting place in Hell's Kitchen quite early so I could get all my gear set up and prepare my questions for the interview. Once I was satisfied we sat in the car while I played Battleship and crosswords on my phone until Lucinda arrived.


I met Lucinda at La Bergamote, a French cafe, where she had gotten me a coffee. She was amazingly sweet and we had a great little chat to get to know each other before we started filming. It was a perfect way to break the ice and calm the nerves on both sides. I want to integrate that into future interviews. Once that was out of the way we headed off to the secret location where we climbed 10 flights of stairs and set up the cameras in the stairwell because we needed the lighting. It was a little awkward, but I think we made it work.


The interview itself went really well for the most part. I felt like I could improve a bit by not sticking to my pre-planned questions as much and rolling with the conversation. Lucinda told some great stories and I think we got good stuff. After that we climbed up the ladder to the roof where she has done many photo shoots to get a nice view of the city and shoot a couple last things and talk about how we mysteriously ended up following each other on Snapchat. We descended the stairs, stopping to use the sink for hand washing at an apartment party along the way, and then said goodbye. It was a really fun time. Becca and I had a good drive back home, but I was ready to pass out in bed once we got back.

No comments: