Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Jun 29, 2010

I picked up Shannon early (reeeally early if you ask her) and brought her back to Millville to kayak on the Maurice River (pronounced Moor-ihs, for anyone who might think it's pronounced Moor-ees..).

We dropped our kayaks in right by the dam, where Shannon took some time to get used to the controls and the current of the river.

We headed down the river through downtown Millville and under the walking bridge that it seems like no one ever uses. It looks much nicer from above the river level.

After we got through town and passed a dock, we took a break at the 50 buoy. We rested for a little while and then started up again. Resting always makes it seem worse when you get back into whatever you were doing.

We continued following the river, being passed by a few motorboats and passing a rower headed the opposite way. The river opened up really wide as we got farther down and we weren't sure where we would be able to get out to a road. We asked a fisherman who suggested we head back to the dock we passed since it was a long way to anything in the other direction.

We heeded his advice and headed back. We were going with the current on the way back so we didn't have to put in as much effort. That's probably for the best since we were both a little tired from fighting it up to that point. We got back to the dock and called for a ride so we could get the truck and load out. It was a fun trip but hard to believe it's the same river that Ryan and I take through Vineland.

After I took Shannon home, Katie and I went to Cherry Hill Mall to do some browsing. I'm not much of a shopper but Katie found a pair of shoes she really loved and had to have. I like them as well and they weren't too expensive. We spent about fifteen minutes at a loose leaf tea shop sampling hot and cold teas while learning about the processes by which they mix and steep the leaves to get certain flavors. All of this was of course leading to the sales pitch which we awkwardly turned down and left. The teas were delicious.. I just didn't want to spent fifty dollars on loose leaf tea today.

Instead, I spent a reasonable amount on this delicious drink, the Bahama'Rita, at Bahama Breeze outside the mall. We each got one and it lived up to Katie's hype for it. Gotta love some girlie drinks.

On the way home we stopped at Rowan to play ping pong, which was the original plan for the trip before we detoured to the mall. We played something like four games and I lost them all again.. but I sort of won one. I got to 21 first but since Katie had 20 (and I guess you have to win by 2) she came back and destroyed me again. I'll get better.

She dropped me off at Quizzo, where I met Chuck to make a two person team for this week. We did pretty well, placing third overall, even though they didn't award a prize for third this week. Damn you, Wisconsin and Missouri! Two times in the History/Geography round we were off by one when giving the number of states which border Canada and the number that begin with the letter M.

That was pretty much my night. I was pretty tired when I got back home so I didn't waste much time before trying to fall asleep.

No comments: