Sunday, January 8, 2017

Jan 8, 2017


Ryan and I got up and, after briefly considering taking a lazy day after our long drive, we got on the road to Stratton. The roads were fine in the morning and I think we were both ready to get on the slopes. After the usual fun of putting our boots on at the car we caught the lift bus up to the resort to get our tickets.


The weather was perfect. The sun was out and it was cold but not windy. Our first runs were fun and then we headed to the other side of the mountain where things turned very cold, especially on the lift. The snow-making didn't help matters there. We took a couple of short breaks and decided to head back to the other side to get food.


The trees at the top of the mountain were so beautiful covered in ice and snow. I couldn't capture them all the way I wanted to, but I'm going to try tomorrow. Some of them were just icy and others had these thick layers of snow hanging from each branch making them look heavy and wise. I love the imagery, but I hate that the environment is so inhospitable.


We had a good lunch of soup in bread bowls for a steep price before I went out to get my other face mask and hit the trails again. The other mask made all the difference. Also taking the gondola and not the open-air lift probably helped. We spent the rest of the day on that side of the mountain exploring trails until it was almost time to go. We found a diamond we liked a lot called Upper/Lower Spruce and decided to do it twice to end the day on that good note.


The Thai place we went to for dinner was right next door to Hermit Thrush Brewery so I stopped in to try their sours. Everything I had was really good. It was great to have a flight of only sours that exceeded my expectations. Some of the non-aged beers weren't as amazing, but it's not fair after trying my favorite style to judge those ones. They seemed really good too. I left with a mixed 4-pack of cans and a desire to go back again very soon.


We went next door to Thai Bamboo and each got curry that we had been thinking about all day. It was a little pricy, but the food was really good. We also had a pretty view of this outside the window by our table as it snowed lightly. The drive to the hotel was careful and slow on the snowy roads, but we made it after navigating around some steep hills. It's early bedtimes and drying out facemasks now.

No comments: