Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 5, 2010

Attempt three, if you ask me anyway, to leave on the road trip was successful! This is my starting odometer at 4:45am.

With no traffic to worry about we were into Philly and heading through really quickly. PA and Philly do not have welcome signs so this is the best I could do.

We were in the farmland outside of Philly watching the sun rise behind us just after 6am. We made really good time.

This is pretty much what we saw throughout PA. It isn't a particularly exciting state to drive through but it seemed like it went quickly.

We stopped at Penn Scenic View near Seven Springs. The view was really nice and it was a good day to sit and look at it.

We went to Seven Springs ski resort, where they have a disc golf course that is open from May through October. What isn't mentioned on the site is that it opens on Memorial Day so it wasn't open yet. It sucked because it looked like it would be cool.

I passed through this town. It's not anywhere near Intercourse.

We crossed into West Virginia, which I always forget we would do going west, for about ten minutes. I only saw one plate from that state on the road. I guess everyone was just passing through. WV must feel so used.

Next was Ohio. It looks a lot like PA. They're all imaginary borders anyway. More political than geographical.

Again, Ohio was a pretty plain state, lots of woods and farmlands interchanging with the occasional city mixed in. I regained my appreciation for the album while driving through this state though.

We entered Kentucky over this cool bridge and headed for our first disc golf course.

Lincoln Ridge was giant open course at first with more people than I've ever seen at a disc golf course at once. It was like a tournament but there wasn't one.

There were some really cool holes that shot downhill and tested my ability to throw straight. I did pretty well on most.

Some holes were precarious. One in particular left my disc stranded on the riverbed that was down a very steep, muddy hill. I think I got a three on it though, if you don't count the OB. Overall the course was pretty fun. I wouldn't rate it perfect but I would come back to play again.

We headed down Beaver Road to our camp at Big Bone Lick State Park.

We set up our tent with ease and then finally had food. It's pretty much the first thing I had eaten all day besides dry waffles at 4am and then some snacks on the road. It was delicious. Thanks, mom!

I sat outside in the beautiful weather and did some writing. It was a great night and the campground was peaceful.

I was ready to go to sleep early. I guess it makes sense that I would be tired after driving for about twelve hours and waking up early. Yeah for a sleeping bag.

681.7 miles today. Circles are disc golf courses and triangles are where we camped.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you are having a wonderful time. Keep posting the pics so that I can travel with you.

Mama Bear said...

Seems as though the cross-country Don & Asia tour is going well. Glad you guys finally got to play some disc golf! I am so... jealous, it looks like you're having a fun time. Love you Asia & be safe!

Unknown said...

Looks like you may have another item to keep track of on the trip, number of discs lost.

D.M. said...

so far the count is up to 0! We had two close calls but we didn't give up on them. We'll keep a tally though for sure. I thought I cracked one in half yesterday though when I smashed it into a tree.