Friday, May 14, 2010

May 14, 2010

We took Jeff and his roommate, Jill, out to breakfast at IHOP for being so kind and letting us stay for two nights. Breakfast was excellent. Pancakes and eggs with toast for me. It was very filling and a nice change. We bid Jeff farewell and got on the road to get out of Texas!

The skies were not looking so friendly as soon as we started heading west. This opened up to a complete downpour after a short time. It was raining pretty bad for a while but it let up eventually and then it was just a little every once in a while.

I wish it hadn't been so cloudy when we drove through "the biggest wind farm in the world." It was massive. The towers were all over in giant fields as far as we could see into the distance. They made for great shots (this isn't one of those..) but the limited visibility was a bummer.

We weren't sure if we'd get to play because of the rain, but we found Levelland Park and it wasn't raining when we got there so we played. The first basket is just great, sitting atop a lighthouse with a hollow bottom so the discs fall out after you make the shot. Mine got stuck in the chains but it's a good idea anyway.

It was cold and really windy out, which wasn't helping our shots at all since the course was mostly a big, flat, open field like this. A lot of the shots were similar and some of the baskets were surrounded by water from the early rain.

The course seemed like fun but we called it after 10 of the 21 holes due to wind-related annoyance. Just go for the lighthouse hole and then check out... well, there's really nothing else around but a Wal*Mart.

We got on the road again and finally saw a sign that welcomed us to New Mexico--but, more importantly, ushered us out of Texas! The stuff behind the sign doesn't really work with the state's motto... I really don't mind Texas either, I had a lot of fun there.. we were just there for a long time.. it's a big state.

New Mexico brought new fun, especially when I saw flashing lights way behind me and realized I was going about 15 mph over the speed limit and knew they must be coming for me. I was right. To be fair (to me) the speed limit was going from 70 to 45 to 30 all in the course of a quarter of a mile.. it's hard to keep up.

He gave me a ticket, which was on a large sheet of paper that I had to sign on the spot and I also had to tell him whether or not I would be taking it to court or paying it.. I chose paying since I didn't want to travel back to Tiny Town, NM to sit in traffic court.. already did that in Jersey, thanks! I never get mad at the cops for these things though, I'm just mad at myself for not noticing the speed limit. Oh well, what can ya do?

We continued through the darkness to Albuquerque and to the apartment of someone we met on Couch Surfer. GPS is a lifesaver in situations where you need to find a specific apartment in a city you don't know at all. Don't forget about maps though, they're still useful and awesome.

We went in and met Candice and Orlando, who helped us settle in on the two couches in the living room where we put our sleeping bags and got to sleep pretty quickly.

Total distance: 662.6. That's more like it, we're finally getting somewhere again!

No comments: