Friday, May 21, 2010

May 21, 2010

We didn't know what to do in the morning so we ended up walking to Diamond Head Crater. I had done the hike once the last time I was in Hawai'i and it was pretty good. The walk over was pretty long and it was warm out so what else would we want to do when we got there but hike uphill?

The hike isn't too strenuous. It's a gradual incline most of the way. The worst part is avoiding the jagged rocks and not rolling your ankle. It's hard to drink water and walk at the same time here. I found out.

The steps at the top were the worst part. It's just straight up and they seem to never end. I saw a few people turn back when they got to this point. It's funny that steps are worse than hiking up the side of mountain.

Once we got up all the different types of stairs and out from under the little bunker (where, for two dollars, you can get your very own certificate that says you made it to the top that looks like the old certificate templates from Microsoft Office!) we could see the whole path we walked and the inside of the crater.

The view from the top looking toward Waikiki is really nice. The best part about Hawai'i is that the water actually looks blue everywhere. You can see down into the water where the reef is just below the surface.

We spent a little bit of time at the top where it was nice and breezy before we headed back down. The walk down wasn't bad at all except for flip-flop guy in front of us taking up the whole path. Tony!

We stopped at a natural food place that we passed on the way and I got the most delicious bowl of food. It was frozen acai and berries topped with strawberries, bananas, granola and honey. I could eat that for breakfast every day. It was fantastic. The honey and granola really added the extra to it. It was basically a smoothie in a bowl. Why don't we have these at home??

We walked down by the beach before returning to the hotel and watched some kids jump off the pier into the ocean.

Our hotel had a pool so we had to take advantage of it after a long walk in the sun.

It was very refreshing. Also refreshing: finding out that my camera really does work underwater! I finally took the (ahem) plunge and tried it out. Ah, another novelty that provided a lot of entertainment.

After the pool we went to the beach for a little while. There were a lot of people out surfing and sailing. I have a feeling this beach doesn't see a lot of down time.

Using my new ability to swim with a camera, I got some different shots of Diamond Head from out in the ocean. It doesn't look as high from here.. but I promise it was a lot of walking to get all the way up there!

After swimming, I retired to the room and at my P.F. Chang's leftovers and watched some TV. I spent some time on the computer on the balcony before I retired to bed early once again.

No comments: