Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 12, 2010

We got up from our second night camping at a lake and packed up our stuff. I was going to shave but in place of a mirror in the bathroom was a scratched up, almost reflective piece of metal so I opted to wait on that for a while. At least I got to shower last night. After some confusion finding Brazos Park East disc golf course, we found out that the front nine were closed because of construction so we could only play the back.

The course ran right next to a river and had some good, challenging shots. There were a few times we almost lost discs but we recovered them.

One of the cool things about this trip is seeing nature that we normally wouldn't see in Jersey. We've seen a few lizards in the woods where we've played or camped but this guy was just sitting out on a branch by the tee.

It would have been nice to play the whole course here but even just the back nine was good enough. This would be a good place to come back to when all of the construction is complete; the park is really nice.

As we drove north I saw a sign for the Dr. Pepper museum so I decided to stop there. I don't really know why but it seemed like a unique and quirky thing we wouldn't see anywhere else. The museum itself was just old signs and such so I didn't feel compelled to pay to go see it.

I did, however, go to the old fashioned soda shop inside and get an ice cream float with Dr. Pepper and the featured flavor, cherry vanilla ice cream.

It was pretty delicious but it went quick. We didn't stay long but it was one random stop and that's basically the point of this trip.

When we got closer to Fort Worth, we stopped at another course at Lester Lorch Park and were greeted by this sign. Joanna didn't want to run around in a field of flowers after seeing this.

There were two courses at the park. We chose the one that was supposedly more difficult, the Coyote Course.

There were butterflies all over the course. One landed on a disc long enough to take some photos. None of them would land on my hand...

The course was set up really well, save for a few tees that were difficult to find. There were some cool shots, unfortunately only the Beaver course had shots over water. I would have liked to play that one.

While we were there, I got a call back from a guy I contacted on Couch Surfer who wanted to meet up with us. We finished our game down the narrow path of hole 18 and headed to Fort Worth.

We weren't too far away so the skyline of Fort Worth appeared pretty quickly once we got on the highway.

We went to Spiral Diner for dinner. It's a vegan restaurant that was recommended to me so I had to stop by.

The place is amazing. So much food there looked great so we tried a bunch of it. The tacos and burritos are perfect. Our waiter was awesome as well and the prices were low. He even stopped by and gave us a free brownie at the end of our meal. Jeff, the guy I contacted on Couch Surfer, met us there to get to know us a bit before he let us into his house. We talked about our trip and what we do for a while before the blind date was over and he said we could stay.

If you're unfamiliar with Couch Surfer, it's basically a website where people offer up their couches to people who are traveling and where others can go to find couches. This is my first time trying it out and it worked out pretty well. Jeff is an awesome guy and he welcomed us to his apartment, where the first thing we did was go for a swim! It felt great to swim and then sit in the hot tub outside.

We spent the rest of the night hanging out inside, watching The Daily Show and Colbert (CST, an hour earlier! haha). Jeff and his roommates were extremely friendly to us so my first experience couch surfing is a great one! We even got a spare bedroom with a nice bed! How much better could it get?

Total distance today: 230.1 miles. It seems like no matter how much we drive we're still in Texas!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank Joanna for not running through the field of flowers!

Dr Pepper is my favorite soda- remember where I lived when I had my first soda;)

D.M. said...

I like it a lot as well but I never drink soda!

Joanna said...

haha I got excited when I saw the field and immediately disappointed and scared upon seeing that sign.